Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 convertible and want to restore the door panels
Is there a correct paint color/type at NPD that I can purchase ?
I see a lacquer and a flexible shaker can. is one better that the other ?
Also looking for windlace and see 2 different types
Is one more correct ?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Lacquer is correct for metal dash, door panels and interior pieces of the same color. Look for the words "concours" or "like / as original" for your windlace, which is sold by the foot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the information !
On the Virginia Classic Mustang site they have 2 types of windlace . the one that says "concours" is a weave textured type but in the description it notes that 64/65 used the smooth type.
Can I take this as accurate information ?

·
Registered
34,334 Posts
IMHO, the "easiest" method is to have your local auto paint store mix up a pint of acrylic lacquer to spray with a gun or PreVal sprayer, or fill a few aerosol cans for that purpose. The PPG codes for the interior paint formulas are...

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
On the Virginia Classic Mustang site they have 2 types of windlace . the one that says "concours" is a weave textured type but in the description it notes that 64/65 used the smooth type.
Virginia Classic Mustang has been around for a long long time and they have not only sold Parts but restored cars as well, have continued to be a very reliable source for accurate parts and information. I still order from them from time to time. I haven't had to order a lot of parts in the previous 20 years but I'll have to spend a lot of money for the next five because I'm working on two cars with / for my sons and I expect I will be spending quite a bit with National Parts Depot and Virginia Classic Mustang.

·
Vendor
3,634 Posts
Windlace can be a murky subject.. Here's what we have stated in our catalog: "Research shows that there are several variations of windlace used during the mid to late 60's, Different suppliers have different styles of patterns and these variations can be found year to year and in some cases month to month, variations between assembly plants have also been noted".

That said, I've got a 1,300 original mile '65 coupe here, and a 19,000 original mile '66 GT350, both with original interiors, and the '65 coupe (April 1965 Metuchen) has the smooth-type that VCM is referring to, and the '66 has the weave type.

I've attached photos of original smooth, original weave, repro generic, and repro weave. The "generic" repro is closest to the original smooth, but, it's has a bit more grain than original, and is not as soft/puffy as original.

Hope this helps..

Rick
NPD

Attachments

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
^^^ this guy is why NPD and one reason why this forum are great. All three of my current Metuchen cars have the weave / woven pattern on them, and the 65 Dearborn built car I had for a little while had the more dimpled looking stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts