Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the forum. I typically rebuild newer cars but am rebuilding a 65 mustang for my wife. I have ran into an issue and wondered if anyone could give me a suggestion. The car was a i6 and am converting it all over to v8.
I bought a 289 out of a 65 mustang and the casting # on block shows it's a 65. Someone has rebuilt this engine but I wanted to repaint the block and heads black like its supposed to be. So I am putting all new gaskets in as well while it's out.
The problem I have is I installed a comp cam double roller timing chain and I had a 2 piece eccentric and when I bolt it on it is tight and does not spin correctly. So I put a thick washer behind it and it works like it did and clears the TC. My question is will this be ok with the washer behind it? Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you!

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Your timing gear is probably made for a 1 piece eccentric. What is the part number for the timing set or post a pic of the timing gear without the eccentric on it. No on the washer, I would use the correct parts. Either use the one piece eccentric on your timing set or replace the timing set for one that uses the 2 piece eccentric

·
Registered
401 Posts
What do you mean does not spin correctly? The eccentric bolts to the timing gear/camshaft and the pin on the cam goes through the gear and the eccentric. To my knowledge that should be a 1 piece eccentric but I don't think that matters. What does is to make sure the eccentric does not hit/rub the back of the timing cover

·
Registered
10,368 Posts
I'm not allowed to provide the link anymore (copywrite issue) but if you google Tom Monroe how to rebuild your Small block Ford You will find a PDF of the whole book . this issue is covered

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your timing gear is probably made for a 1 piece eccentric. What is the part number for the timing set or post a pic of the timing gear without the eccentric on it. No on the washer, I would use the correct parts. Either use the one piece eccentric on your timing set or replace the timing set for one that uses the 2 piece eccentric
I bought a comp cam brand #2120 and the instructions do say it uses the 1 piece. I should have paid closer attention
when i purchased it. I am just so used to Chevy where almost everything is interchangeable. So my guess is that when they rebuilt the engine they changed to this? What i have looked up is 65 289 from the factory used the 1 piece, and mine is a 2 piece. I was just trying to avoid cost of replacing the timing set again or buying the 80 dollar eccentric.
I appreciate your recommendations!
Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you mean does not spin correctly? The eccentric bolts to the timing gear/camshaft and the pin on the cam goes through the gear and the eccentric. To my knowledge that should be a 1 piece eccentric but I don't think that matters. What does is to make sure the eccentric does not hit/rub the back of the timing cover
Mine had a 2 piece that the tab go into the dowel pin hole. i think someone has changed this because i have read that 65 289 casting # that i have C5AE-6015 Should be a 1 piece. But i just put in this info to order the comp cam double roller and this is what it said fits.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not allowed to provide the link anymore (copywrite issue) but if you google Tom Monroe how to rebuild your Small block Ford You will find a PDF of the whole book . this issue is covered
Thank you very much for this information!
Bob

·
Registered
401 Posts
Mine had a 2 piece that the tab go into the dowel pin hole. i think someone has changed this because i have read that 65 289 casting # that i have C5AE-6015 Should be a 1 piece. But i just put in this info to order the comp cam double roller and this is what it said fits.
What does not spin correctly? Is the tab of the 2 piece eccentric locking in the timing gear? The 2 piece will work as long as it's locked in the timing gear

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Awhtx,
Thank you much! I will have to try to get the short dowel out and find a longer one. Surly they sell these as well i hope.
Hey Nightshift, add your location to your signature. Who knows, one of us may live in your area. BTW, if you get jammed on the longer pin, I have a complete roller timing chain setoff a '65 block. I "think"(?) it has both the short and longer pins. So, PM if you need the pin. I'll put it in the mail. 'Be Well, Stay Well, Think Well"

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
What does not spin correctly? Is the tab of the 2 piece eccentric locking in the timing gear? The 2 piece will work as long as it's locked in the timing gear
No, it will not work correctly if he has a timing set for a 1 piece eccentric which he does have. The face of the gear is different on the one piece and two piece gear set. No way would I jam a two piece eccentric onto a gear made for the 1 piece eccentric. Do it once and do it right. The two piece eccentric is designed so the outer piece spins freely when used with the correct gear set.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,147 Posts
Awhtx,
Thank you much! I will have to try to get the short dowel out and find a longer one. Surly they sell these as well i hope.
My Crane cam came with the short dowel that was half as long as it was support to and sink into the dowel hole by almost 1/2". I know this isn't the preferred method but I cut a length of steel the same diameter as the dowel so the dowel would stick out of the cam far enough to go through the eccentric and not interfere with the bold and washer holding the eccentric in place on the cam. I rebuilt the engine in 2009 and never had a problem with it engaging the fuel pump arm or coming loose and spinning freely

·
Registered
20,521 Posts
For the one piece eccentric, the hub of the cam gear is 3/4". The hub for the two piece eccentric is 15/16". The one piece eccentric is .951" and the two piece eccentric is .827". The one piece eccentric dowel is 1 3/8" and the two piece dowel is 1 1/8" long

·
Registered
401 Posts
No, it will not work correctly if he has a timing set for a 1 piece eccentric which he does have. The face of the gear is different on the one piece and two piece gear set. No way would I jam a two piece eccentric onto a gear made for the 1 piece eccentric. Do it once and do it right. The two piece eccentric is designed so the outer piece spins freely when used with the correct gear set.
Sorry, I did not know that. Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts