Vintage Mustang Forums banner

65 Emergency Brake Cable Routing Question

3447 Views 5 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  mgmradio
I have a June 24 build date, Dearborn built convertible. When I removed the rear emergency brake cables, they weren't routed above the frame rails at the rear wheels as I'm accustomed to seeing them. They were attached to the floor pan under the rear seat via 2 clips each and were routed under the leaf springs to the backing plates. I'm wondering if this is correct since I've seen several that route over the frame rail and have the bracket that attaches to the frame rail. Thanks for your help.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
445 Posts
They should be routed over the frame rail.

· Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isn't the rubber sleeve on the cable supposed to go in the slot between the frame rail and floor pan? The rubber sleeve on mine is too far down the cable to fit in that slot. It is where the cable crosses the leaf spring.

G

·
The GT convertible I restored this past year had the cables under the frame rails. Had pictures of the car before it was disassembled that showed this. There were 4 clips around the cables and screwed into the bottom of the rear floor. I wondered if it might be because it was a dual exhaust car. Haven't taken the time to observe enough to figure that one out. Most I have seen go through the opening above the rear frame rails.

· Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went and looked at my July 2 build date 65 Dearborn built coupe last night. It has the same attachment points on the floor pan with the exact same clips as my convertible. This leads me to believe that this has got to be a factory installation. Also, shouldn't the rubber sleeve on the emergency brake cable fit in the slot above the frame rail? There is no way that the sleeve on my cable will go above the frame rail and allow the cable to reach the brake backing plate.

· Registered
445 Posts
Stacy I have been working on my Aug 64 build coupe and it's cables go between the body and the frame rail.I loked at my June 65 built coupe and vert this evening and the cables go between the frame and the soring..Sorry about the bad info.
Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.