Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I've searched the archives and came up with a lot of contradictory statements. I just finished the rebuild on my 1965 HiPo engine. Lot's of folks say ANY black engine spray bomb will do. . .well. . I've bought paint from several mustang vendors and they all look way to glossy. Same with Duplicolor's 1613! Seems to me Duplicolor's 1634 (semi-gloss)looks about right for the block, intake manifild, etc. (I know, I know. . .I should be using a paint gun. . .unfortunetly I don't have one! Hopefully, I can fix that problem by the time it get's its ground up restoration after I retire!!)

So given my present circumstances what spray paint is the CLOSEST match?

NOTE: By the way. . .the fastback's frame was media blasted to bare metal and the "local paint guru" is working on it right now. I'm sure I'll have some painting questions on that subject shortly! Post pictures when I can!

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I used the duplicolor glossy black high temp engine paint. The black isn't supposed to be too flat. After awhile, it will dull anyway (if you drive it). I've never had points taken off becuase it is too shiny or dull (yet). It is a concours Gold winner at a couple of Nationals and one Grand National.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I use VHT Hi-temp engine enamel P/N SP-139 Satin Black. When I first used it I thought it was closer to gloss than satin but under hood heat from the engine bakes the finish and gives it a very nice satin look. The baking, which can also be done in the oven, makes the finish solvent resistant. Engine heat did a good job of curing the paint on the accessories like the A/C compressor and the P/S pump. I buy mine from Car Quest.

G

·
0 Posts
Some people say DDL-9423 is a good match. I have used Plasti-kote spray bomb universal black with good results on concours cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts