Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have a standard 65 289 with automatic transmission and single exhaust. I am planning on putting the 2.25" dual side exhaust system on it from CJponyparts, and installing the Patriot headers recommended for the system in the NPD catalog. I just wanted to know if there is anything else that I should look out for while buying/installing the system. Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you have power steering, you may need a drop bracket to lower the mount for your power cylinder. You may need to find a way to put some hangers up to support the side pipes, depending on the design you chose. Get ceramic coated headers if you can$$$ I have heard a few dislikes for the side exhaust, so I just put in dumps before the rear axle, if I were you, I wouldn't weld everything in, try it and if you like the side exhaust, then weld it in. Consider an h-pipe if you haven't already. Don't buy a universal DIY h-pipe from summit, it's a pain to fit and weld.

Ted

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I've heard stuff about the power cylinder. What is the difference between the ceramic coating and the black paint on the headers?

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
Look up "Arvinode" exhaust if you haven't already. It's a nice sounding system.
Amazing system. Had no mufflers at all. Instead of mufflers, it had a pair of tuned pipes under the car, and two resonators by the gas tank.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I've been looking at that system for a while, but I just can't spend that much money. I would have to re-route the rear brake lines on it, which I just put in over ther summer.

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
Yeah I've been looking at that system for a while, but I just can't spend that much money. I would have to re-route the rear brake lines on it, which I just put in over ther summer.
Converting any 64-66 Mustang to dual exhaust requires re-routing the rear brake lines, regardless of the source of the exhaust system. Anyone who tells you different does not care about your safety.

Well, one exception would be side exhaust, which does not go near the rear axle.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is one reason why I'm looking at the side exhaust. I just want something different, which is why I'm staying away from flowmaster. The arvinode system sounds great, but there's just too much money and work involved for me. I need something that I can do myself over the weekend, that still sounds good. Thanks for all the help though.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so I'm changing my mind again....back to the arvinode system. Are there any specific types of headers to use to replace the stock 289 headers?

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
This is the original K code car used to authenticate the Arvinode system, because it originally came with it. It's still using the original 289HP exhaust manifolds. Sounds good to me.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
It'll sound a little different on a C code 289 automatic with lower numeric rear axel etc. won't it?
If you use 289HP manifolds, it'll sound almost the same, just won't hit the high notes due to cam differences. The axle ratio won't effect anything. In my case, I changed from a 3.50:1 to a 3.00:1. and had zero effect on the sound.

No matter what you do, though, doing this will feel a lot like a cam upgrade:

289/302 Cylinder Head Port Matching

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The hipo manifolds will fit where the stock manifolds did right? They just have a different angle and all that, but I can still just bolt them on right?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I've made my decision. I'm going with the original style dual exhaust system. I have one last question though. Does anyone know what the diameter is? If it's 2" or 2.25"? I need to get tips for it but I can't figure out what size. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
The hipo manifolds will fit where the stock manifolds did right? They just have a different angle and all that, but I can still just bolt them on right?
Yes, they bolt right on. You'll need to use the correct H pipe, of course.

Ok I've made my decision. I'm going with the original style dual exhaust system. I have one last question though. Does anyone know what the diameter is? If it's 2" or 2.25"? I need to get tips for it but I can't figure out what size. Thanks for all the help.
The K code exhaust, even the Arvinode, was 2". Anyone who can provide the system can also provide the hangers, manifolds, and tips.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts