Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 65 fastback a year ago and have been in the process of restoring it since. I've replaced the quarters, floors, front fenders, both doors. The car is going to have shelby exterior parts with a turbo 302. Basically a decent restomod fastback. I will post an album soon.

When i unloaded the car off of the trailer, there were a few items that struck me with the question.....Was this car originally a gt? It is equipped with the 5 guage cluster, with the odd ball amp guage, the dash is notched for the cluster, reinforced rear floors with the outboard brake line bracket, the rear frame rails have hangers for dual exhaust, the steering box is the the HCC-AX box offered in Gts with manual steering, the dash is drilled and appears to have a replacement aftermarket fog light switch or flasher switch??. The car did not have fog lights (was in pieces), the rear valance does not have the trim rings with exhaust holes. There was evidence of a rear end collision so the valance may have been replaced. It is an A code car from san jose. The data plate was missing off of the driver door. The engine that came with the car was a 289 with an A casted in the intake manifold, had a 2 barrel carb/intake. Weren't all A codes 4 barrels? Factory 4 piston discs up front.

IS this car a gt?!? or did it have deluxe interior with all the other options?

I have already installed a roll cage, shelby hood scoop (not the original hood) and shelby side scoops. The engine has been rebuilt and fitted for a turbo. I'm just worried if I butchered an original Gt fastback!

Thanks for your insight.

Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,951 Posts
could be. it has several gt items. look along the bottom of the front fenders and see if are about 14 little holes in a horzontal line for the MUSTANG letters. of course that is provinding the front fenders are the cars originals. as for the engine all kinds of things can change in 40 years and the car could have had several different engines. is the glove box door flat or curved and black or woodgrain ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fenders that came with the car were full of bondo, I ended up selling them. The only emblem the car had when i bought it were the engine emblems towards the headlight bucket...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rear bumper guards were also not with the car with the attachment points plugged...more evidence of a gt.

·
Premium Member
10,951 Posts
well the little simi-circle for the 140 mph speedo in the dash would lead me to believe its a GT. look and see if the dash was cut out and another dash welded in. if not it defenitly has the gt dash.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like you have to much going on not to be a GT.

Like what? the rear valance is probably not factory, the engine that came with the car was a 2bbl, the a codes were 4. The Vin indicates the car was an A code car. The steering box and dash all scream GT.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
That's what I am saying sounds like a GT to me. Are the holes there for the wiring of the fog lamps in the rad support?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
here are pictures of the passenger and driver portions of the radiator support. The driver side has a large square hole cut in it, shown in the picture. My 66 coupe also had the same square hole cut in it...

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know on the passenger side, the top holes are for the wiring harness attachment, the smaller hole above the large one is the horn wiring grommet, the bottom large hole is possibly for the fog light.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
It was most likely a GT from the factory, and yes all "A" codes were 4 barrel engines (225 hp).

John Harvey

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I think the fog light wiring hole is 3/4". Should be one on both sides. Most people will say only the GTs and k codes had the reinforcement for dual exhaust under the rear seat.

·
Registered
35,858 Posts
I think the fog light wiring hole is 3/4". Should be one on both sides. Most people will say only the GTs and k codes had the reinforcement for dual exhaust under the rear seat.
And I am one of them. Pity the interior shot is out of focus, it kinda looks like the plates are there.

The large sheetmetal plates, about 8x14" are what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Does it have holes in the rockers for rocker trim? I dont see them were they mudded shut when you stripped it?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
well the little simi-circle for the 140 mph speedo in the dash would lead me to believe its a GT. look and see if the dash was cut out and another dash welded in. if not it defenitly has the gt dash.
My old '65 parts car (long since turned to dust) had that dash. It came with the Deluxe interior, and was definitely not a GT.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And I am one of them. Pity the interior shot is out of focus, it kinda looks like the plates are there.

The large sheetmetal plates, about 8x14" are what you are looking for.

My car definitely has those sheet metal reinforcements.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My old '65 parts car (long since turned to dust) had that dash. It came with the Deluxe interior, and was definitely not a GT.
Ok, but the steering box, plugged rear bumper guard mounting holes, exhaust hangers and reinforced floors say otherwise.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts