Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a very good looking '65 fastback K-code in Belgium. However they're asking a ridiculous price.... They claim it's rare, because supposedly there were only 5 K-code fastbacks produced in '65. Is this correct? I can't find any info on the K-code specifically. I checked my Mustang Red Book, but it only mentions the 9" rear axle ring gear (which it indeed has), and the fact that 7273 '65 mustangs were equipped with the hi-po K-code engine....

Can anyone tell me, or give an indication of, production numbers for the 65 fastback K-code ?

·
Registered
10,139 Posts
How much are they asking?

No one knows the exact number of K codes produced but it would be safe to assume many thousands were made.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Yes, Paul is right, thousands were made originally,but many fewer survive (maybe 1 in 3?). And it has to be one of very few in Europe. It would be even rarer if it were a T5!

If you are looking for a K-code fastback, you need to weigh the costs of buying a car that is already there against the cost of importing one from the US.

Assuming the owner wants $30,000 for it, you might be able to buy the same car here for less- say 25 thousand. Then you have to factor in the cost of importing a car you've never seen before. So, it might be a wash.

One thing you might consider is arranging to buy a car here in the US over the winter. Fly to the US and pick it up in the Spring and drive it in Pony Drive 2004 - the 40th-anniversary drive across the US with Mustangers from all over the world. When the drive and your holiday are finished, hand it over to an exporter and have the car follow you home.

That way, you'd get the car, have a great holiday, and get to take part in an historic celebration of the car's heritage.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Well I have one of them. 65,66,67 K codes made up less than 1 percent of the total mustang population. Most were thrashed while being raced. Check out this site. www.HIPOMUSTANG.COM You'll find some good info there.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Hello.In 65,Ford built 7,273 hipo mustangs,excluding Shelbys.In 66 they built 5,469.In 67 they built only 472.Hope that helps. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the info!
This is a picture of the K-code GT fastback:

http://www.autoweb.nl/afbeeldingen/48902.jpg

The seller states: "Original K-Code Fastback, Hi-Po:271 Hp,9 Inch rear-axle,4-speed manual,teinted windows,white Pony-interior,Console,8000rpm Tachometer,Styled steel wheels,Alu.Cobra T-Oilpan,Cobra dress-up kit, only 5 of these were ever made."

He's asking well over $40k, which is ridiculous in my opinion. I'll call him later today, and ask him for the VIN. That should give us some more pointers ;)

Maybe I'll take up MrGem's advice, and make a little trip to the US in a year or 2 (just bought a new house, so.... ). Only 'problem' then will be to find a reliable company that can ship the car back to Europe for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts