Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this weekend im going to look at a supposed K code 65 fastback. I was told that it was a roof/shell. It has the doors that have the K vin on them. It has a trunk and some random other pieces. The owner said he has the title with K code on it also. My question is if it doesnt have the fender vin can it really be a K code? What else can I look for? How much is it worth? I have no clue what it looks like. I dont want to pass it up if its worth something, but also dont want to pay for a K code when its not. Some info would be helpfull, thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
if it aint got the vins on the fender aprons in all three places dont buy it. if it aint got any vin stampings on the fender aprons it could be HOT. the doors do not have a K stamped on them. the only thing on the doors is the data tag on the drivers door that can be put on any door cause it is held on with 2 really weak rivits. a real 65 K will have a choke cable hole near the master cylinder. an early 65 K had arvinode exhaust with a unique bracket holes in the frame. around march of 65 the K got the standard GT exhaust brackets and mounting holes. the engine mounting setup is different from the standard 65 mustang mounts. the best thing to do is look at the info here > www.hipomustang.com/hpmx/default.asp for all the hipo items. the main thing is the 3 vin stamps and that is the only legit way to know. the build date on the door tag should be within 3 months of the date codes on the sheet metal. you cannot leaglly transfer the vin from one vehicle to another. if you can take a foto of the vins and a foto of the center of the firewall so i can see if it has a choke cable hole. ALL 65 hipo mustangs came from the factory with a manual choke on the carb. i have seen some people get ripped off over the years buying fake cars.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I took the conversation, it has no aprons on it.. should I pick the shell up just to finish anyway? or use it for a conversion?

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
if the shell is good i would buy it but i wouldnt pay top dollar. if you can post some fotos some of us could give our oponion what its worth. check your state laws cause you might be able to put it back on the road with a state issued vin. here in californee a car like that would get inspected by the chp and then a new vin would be issued. if your looking for a car to enjoy a state issued vin is fine. if i ever come across a good body from the firewall back i would but it if the price was right.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Sounds to me like he has a title an maybe a door tag from a K and some random parts and maybe a shell from a non K kar. Have seen this before,if this is true he should be reported.
Hopefully I am wrong.

Be careful

mike

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I can get a title for a fictitious car if I want. Make the VIN anything I want. Stay away from this deal.

·
Registered
35,858 Posts
if it aint got the vins on the fender aprons in all three places dont buy it. if it aint got any vin stampings on the fender aprons it could be HOT. the doors do not have a K stamped on them. the only thing on the doors is the data tag on the drivers door that can be put on any door cause it is held on with 2 really weak rivits. a real 65 K will have a choke cable hole near the master cylinder. an early 65 K had arvinode exhaust with a unique bracket holes in the frame. around march of 65 the K got the standard GT exhaust brackets and mounting holes. the engine mounting setup is different from the standard 65 mustang mounts. the best thing to do is look at the info here > www.hipomustang.com/hpmx/default.asp for all the hipo items. the main thing is the 3 vin stamps and that is the only legit way to know. the build date on the door tag should be within 3 months of the date codes on the sheet metal. you cannot leaglly transfer the vin from one vehicle to another. if you can take a foto of the vins and a foto of the center of the firewall so i can see if it has a choke cable hole. ALL 65 hipo mustangs came from the factory with a manual choke on the carb. i have seen some people get ripped off over the years buying fake cars.
What he said, except the Arvinode was optional, the transverse duals were standard with the K code. The hangers were similar, IIRC they attached in the same places.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
IIRC what made it a K code was the engine and some mechanical parts. What makes the shell different is the VIN on the aprons. The door tag is a little more meaningful than a 289V high performance fender insignia!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Can you trace ownership If he is the original owner (doubtful) that may help but if he can trace the cars ownership back to the guy that cut the aprons it could shed some light.

It really comes down to "Good Faith" and that the car is what is represented by the title. To be brutally honest even if it had brand new aprons on it and it was restored you could be just as concerned because those parts get changed all the time.

·
Registered
35,858 Posts
IIRC what made it a K code was the engine and some mechanical parts. What makes the shell different is the VIN on the aprons. The door tag is a little more meaningful than a 289V high performance fender insignia!
Yeah, the K code had the 4-speed close-ratio transmission, 9" rear, K code engine, and dual exhaust (three different versions in 64-65!) and the special handling package, which included the 4-turn steering box, HD front sway bar, HD springs, and HD shocks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im going to be very careful! All this advise is so great. Ill take some pics and get all the info I can and then post it. That way I make the correct decision. Im hoping I get to go today.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bummer

Ok so I just got back from looking at the K code. What a bummer! There was no car at all. Just a roof, and it was so beat up and rusted out. The doors were there and the trunk. They all looked like they came off the roof/shell/p.o.s. They were all baby blue and super faded. Here are 2 pics I took with my phone. They kinda suck sorry.

Attachments

·
VMF Ambassador
6,662 Posts
Does that even count as a car at that point? :lol:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL, Those pics make it look good. Pretty bummed. Just to bad that this K code is never coming back. There is no way to save it!!:pirate:

·
Registered
793 Posts
LOL, Those pics make it look good. Pretty bummed. Just to bad that this K code is never coming back. There is no way to save it!!:pirate:
Unfortunately you are only half correct.
The car will not be coming back but the Vin obviously will return on a rebody.

If you happened to get the Vin or still can please post it so we can make note.
I will also post it at 289 High Performance Mustang - HiPo Mustang Home for future reference.

mike

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, ill see about getting it. Ill be meeting with the owner next week to buy some of his fastback parts, and pick up some dynocorn parts I ordered from him. Just a bummer that I couldnt pick it up.

·
Registered
254 Posts
without the fender VIN's
i think your right
ie 'it's never coming back'
anything can be saved
but this is beyond ridiculous.
of the 5 major things that make a K kar:

door VIN data tag
viewable VIN fender stamp
non-viewable security fender stamps
VIN stamped HiPo 289 engine
VIN stamped 4 spd toploader tranny

this car has one....maybe
i've always believed in and
often crusade to save 'basket' cases
but even by my acid standards
i'd pass on this one!!
iowa

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
without the fender VIN's
i think your right
ie 'it's never coming back'
anything can be saved
but this is beyond ridiculous.
of the 5 major things that make a K kar:

door VIN data tag
viewable VIN fender stamp
non-viewable security fender stamps
VIN stamped HiPo 289 engine
VIN stamped 4 spd toploader tranny

this car has one....maybe
i've always believed in and
often crusade to save 'basket' cases
but even by my acid standards
i'd pass on this one!!
iowa
I my self love the seeing "basket cases" and taking the challange of rebuilding them. But you are right, this on is just WAY to far gone. The door tag is all that was there, and a door does not build a car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
K Code Fastback

Unfortunately you are only half correct.
The car will not be coming back but the Vin obviously will return on a rebody.

If you happened to get the Vin or still can please post it so we can make note.
I will also post it at 289 High Performance Mustang - HiPo Mustang Home for future reference.

mike

Mikes right, we need to know the VIN number of the car to make a note of it on the K Code website for future reference.

Just for laughs and giggles how much was the seller asking for the "car"?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts