Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering what others have done when changing colors to the inside fibergalss loover panel. There are a few chrome pieces attached that I am wondering how to remove and then re-install after painting. Seems like the pieces have small stans on them that are pressed through the fiberglass panel, then melted to secure them, provides a backing.

Has anyone removed these, painted the part and then re-attached?

Looking for ideas for the re-attach part

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I've repainted several fastback interiors, and never removed the trim you're referring to. If you're careful, you can tape it up and have no overspray. Like you've already noticed, it's REALLY attached... there's just no point in removing it when it can be taped off so well. Just go slowly and press the tape into every corner - you'll do fine and there won't be the headache of reattaching anything.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I agree with Dan. I would not try to remove those panels.

Mask carefully and you'll be fine. Dickson

G

·
0 Posts
they are rivetted on when assembeled, you can remove them by grinding the back with a grinding wheel. to re-install them you will have to very carefully epoxy the studds that you grinded from behind.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thats what I did as well. Worked out great. I figured just taping the louvers would have left an area just under them that would not be painted. Which would be okay if you weren't changing the color. An added bonus of removing them was I was able to clean & polish the chrome & repaint the black parts easily.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
My panels were black, and I changed to red. By carefully looping the masking tape under the chromed inserts I was able to get spraypaint underneath. Dickson

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
In my case, I had two complete sets of panels to play with. Some individual chrome pieces were better than others and some fiberglass was better. So in order to match the best parts, it was necessary to separate the pieces. Also, I was better able to clean and preserve the chrome. I carefully ground off the "melted over" portion of the stud with a Dremel tool, leaving as much of the stud length as possible. To reinstall, I held the chrome in place and applied some JB weld to the stud that stuck through. It turned out great. Eventually, I reassembled the unused chrome pieces and glass panels and offered them for sale at Carlisle. They were the first things that sold.

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
I'm about to undertake the same thing...but my case is worse! A PO shot body color (silver) over the whole damn thing!/forums/images/icons/mad.gif Anybody have advice on how to restore the chrome frames or where to find replacements?

Help me! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I took mine off, and took them to a plater who does pot metal. this thread was about the interior, though. If you are talking about the exterior, they come apart and go together very easily. I would take one side down, tape off the chrome part, clean and re-spray the black part, clean and respray the mesh silver aluminum, pull the tape and carefully clean the chrome with 000 steel wool.

I took the interior grills off, and took them to a plater (as said before), Pot Metal platers are hard to find locally (and Expensive) paid $15 ea for the 8 grills I had cleaned and plated, pistol grip door handles and waited over 3 months.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts