Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I going to gave any trouble getting motor mounts to put a '67 289 in a 65 fastback? Its an early production model and those mounts are different than post 11/1/65 production, right? Is the '67 block different in any way?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
The blocks are the same as far as the mounts are concerned. All the Mustang parts houses carry both styles. You can probably find them at your local parts store too. That's where I found mine. It sounds like you are looking for the early "stud" type mount instead of the later "bolt thru" style. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I still have the early stud mounts in my D-coder...

Evidently, from reading VMF'er posts, I should have gone to the later mounts when installing my JBA shorties a number of years ago....the headers are pretty tight. My understanding is that the later mounts raise the engine up a bit and this gives the headers more clearance.

From what I read, the later mounts fit fine, with the noted difference..

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Should be no problem (as others have already said) locating either style mount and insulator.

However, unless the car is a concours showpiece, I'd use the 66-and-later style with the "ears" and thru bolts. It's a much stronger piece of hardware and, as Pat said, gives you better exhaust manifold clearance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts