Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After deciding to stick with the stock steering on my Fastback, well that’s all changed. I drove a car today with manual steering and American Mags and it was hard work!
If I could turn the clock back 20/25 years I would be ok. Flaming river do a kit ( see attached ) but what’s your experience? Is it the way to go?
Will I get go feed back through the wheel when driving the car hard / track days etc.
Is there a header issue?
Is this a better option than staying standard steering and then add an Epas column?
But RTC issue has put me off the Epas.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,888 Posts
Not many reviews have been good, vs just rebuilding the original set up.

·
Registered
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1,377 Posts
TCP Manual rack here for many years. Well made, high quality, great feel and easy steering (except to parallel park). Easy to install. No need for power in my case. MY FPA headers are made to fit with this rack.

·
Registered
1970 Sportroof Mustang Grabber Value Package
1,381 Posts
I have never driven a Mustang with stock manual or stock power steering, my car came with Unisteer power R&P and I have no driving complaints.
This could be due to the "ignorance is bliss" rule tho! ;)

Reactions: Quicksilver66

·
Registered
42,822 Posts
My '66 is manual steer (16:1 box), Shelby "Quick Steer" Pitman and idler arms, 205/65R15's on TTD's, and the only time it's a "chore" is when the car isn't rolling. Otherwise, it's a joy. If I WAS going to go the "power steering" route, it would be EPAS. RTC shouldn't be an issue with the "right" system and enough caster.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
If your stock stuff isn't worn out, and you have new grease in it with non-trashed suspension parts attached to it too, they work great. They also frequently go 50 years + between maintenance. Just ask all the people who have never greased their original steering box, and it genuinely works fine...

If you put in a new rack, it won't be able to turn as sharply in parking lots, and later, when the parts wear out, you will be back to square one, because you don't know what car the rack was from originally, so you can't just replace the worn items.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,435 Posts
Looking at the kit pictured there's nothing in it that will make steering easier..... it doesn't appear to be powered

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
I hear that R&P setups suffer from bump steer and reduced turning radius. Thats what I hear.🤷‍♂️ I have been able to make the factory-ish power steering setup rebuilt by @CHOCK along with the Shelby style quick pitman and idler arms work for a dedicated autocross car. The Ford power steering pump couldn't handle autocross duties so I ungraded to a KRC racing pump, but the Ford pump would be sufficient for the street. A rebuilt Ford pump not the Chinese replacement currently being sold. I was never able to get that to even bleed out correctly let alone get on course.

I am at three turns lock to lock with my current set up and supposedly with R&P can get you down to 2 1/2 turns, but with the reduced turning radius how can you really compare? If I could find a power steering set up of whatever kind with a 2 1/2 turning radius lock to lock with no reduced radius I'd be all over it. You won't find any clear verified answers!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
My 67 vert has a unisteer manual rack with a eps unit mounted right outside the fire wall ( it's a 200 6 ) that's coupled up to a Ididit tilt column. I have a 14" wheel on it & 225x55 R16's on it . For me it drives fine . I do think the turning radius was reduced from the stock radius but I can live with that .

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I had a unisteer manual on my 68 (I bought it with it installed). My experience with it was the radius was reduced - the car would squeal when it went lock to lock and it wouldn't come back to center after a turn. But it tracked like a go cart. If I kept the car I would have returned it to original set up if could.

·
Super Moderator
11,888 Posts
I hear that R&P setups suffer from bump steer and reduced turning radius. Thats what I hear.🤷‍♂️ I have been able to make the factory-ish power steering setup rebuilt by @CHOCK along with the Shelby style quick pitman and idler arms work for a dedicated autocross car. The Ford power steering pump couldn't handle autocross duties so I ungraded to a KRC racing pump, but the Ford pump would be sufficient for the street. A rebuilt Ford pump not the Chinese replacement currently being sold. I was never able to get that to even bleed out correctly let alone get on course.

I am at three turns lock to lock with my current set up and supposedly with R&P can get you down to 2 1/2 turns, but with the reduced turning radius how can you really compare? If I could find a power steering set up of whatever kind with a 2 1/2 turning radius lock to lock with no reduced radius I'd be all over it. You won't find any clear verified answers!
Chock is active here on the board, and very well regarded.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts

On an Autorestomod video they showed on a 67 or maybe it was a 68 that the turning radius was the same with a Unisteer rack vs stock.

Interesting that several posts in this thread indicate it is reduced. Maybe it's a difference between manual and power steering.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
On an Autorestomod video they showed on a 67 or maybe it was a 68 that the turning radius was the same with a Unisteer rack vs stock.

Interesting that several posts in this thread indicate it is reduced. Maybe it's a difference between manual and power steering.
Maybe a difference between 65-66 and 67-68? Who knows? I have yet to see a video on a 65-66 showing whomever's R&P hitting the stops on the LCA, so the conspiracy theorist in me says it ain't happening. Not many people on this forum want a 2.5 turn lock to lock more than I do but what I have now works and I'd need indisputable proof of no loss it turning radius to consider changing anything! A real genuine Ford steering box rebuilt by @CHOCK is a good starting point regardless.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
It’s an uphill climb convincing someone with a not-yet-maxed-out credit card in their hand that a restored Ford steering box (by Chockostang) is way better than a brand new Flaming River box.

many people have been disappointed by aftermarket boxes and R&P systems.

No one has been disappointed by a Ford steering box that Chock restored.

Z

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chock’s the winner!
I’ve decided after reading everyone’s positive feedback of Chock’s work.
It’s a no brainer.
The RP’s kits and Epas columns look great but can add up to a lot of $’s The problem is, they are expensive and there’s still people out there that are not 100% satisfied with them.
I’m not willing to take the chance but with chock’s work it seems everyone’s happy with the service and quality of work and people trust him! That’s a word that’s getting used less in this crazy world.
Chock you should be very proud of what you do and the great comments from your customers.
I’m old school, back in the day trust was - you gave your word ( and kept to it ) a hand shake secured a deal, you didn’t back out of a deal, and you paid your debts. What a different world it is nowadays and most of it’s down to Fbook and the morons it churns out.
After Nailbender mentioned he uses his car for autocross that did it for me. If his set up can take that kind of hard work it will last me for years. I’ll be contacting Chock next week and hopefully he can ship the parts to Spain.
Thanks for everyone’s posts.
Have a great weekend.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts