Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, looking to detail the chrome grilles/vents on the rear quarter of a 65 fb, trying to find the shade of black, not sure they are pretty well weathered my guess would be either satin or semi gloss any help would be great thanks again Otto

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
For the interior grilles, I used a semi-gloss black that basically matches the black used for the rest of the interior on cars so equipped.

I experimented with a satin-finish paint, but it looked too flat compared to an unrestored vent I used for comparison.

I don't recall exactly what paint I used, so maybe someone else can chime in with something more specific.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
otto said:
trying to find the shade of black, not sure they are pretty well weathered my guess would be either satin or semi gloss
It looks like you are talking about the exterior vents, I have to repaint mine also
so I will be interested to hear the answer. My guess is a semi gloss black.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Uh oh...I had my exterior vents re-chromed and the screens polished, and never even realized they were originally painted black! :shrug:

My originals must have really weathered, because I saw no black paint on them at all. Regardless, I can't believe I overlooked this one...I really don't belong in the concours section of this forum!

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
I am puzzled. What specific part of the exterior 65/66 fastback quarter panel grills are painted black? Pictures, please.

My exterior grills are chromed or stainless (I can't really tell).

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Otto there are also the interior baffles inside (that are seen) that are black also (would use any quality semi-gloss black)

Also depending where and when the car was built it appears that the sections attached to the body in that area that are vertical and have a section bent, where also blacked out

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Even though my car's not concours, I should have asked the same question Otto asked before I assembled mine.

Maybe these pics of my car will help illustrate. Are the correct parts painted black on the vent assembly (excluding the vents themselves which I now know are incorrectly all chrome)? And was I not supposed to have blacked out the entire section on the car? I figured the body color could be seen through the largest vent, so I went ahead and blacked-out the entire area.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. - may help Otto

As for the body section (you mentioned you didn't try for concours) just the small vertical sections were blacked out or just the back surface was blacked out - sometimes

Could not find the vertical bar blackout quickly :(

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi, i should have explained myself clearer, the part in question is the chrome vent pieces with the screens behind them , the outer 1/8- 3/16 edge is chrome but the flat surface is a faded black, just trying to do it right as its a lot of work to take apart and detail each grille and i only want to do it once if i can help it thanks again for all the info Otto

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
otto said:
Hi, i should have explained myself clearer, the part in question is the chrome vent pieces with the screens behind them , the outer 1/8- 3/16 edge is chrome but the flat surface is a faded black, just trying to do it right as its a lot of work to take apart and detail each grille and i only want to do it once if i can help it thanks again for all the info Otto

Yes the chrome trim is painted a semi-gloss black except for the outer lip as Charles listed above

1 - 15 of 15 Posts