Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone remove the rear shocks on a 65/66 fastback?
how you get those upper nuts off, they seem to spin , ive tryed air rachet at high speed,no go.
do i need to make a special tool
if you didnt know, the nut is down in a hole under the rear shelf.
any ideas?

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Did you get the safety/lock/keeper nut thing off first? Its like a nut but its very shallow and I think it may have to be removed opposite normal rotation... Then again I did this a few months ago so if I'm way off, let me know

If the whole shock is spinning, then do like the other poster said and get someone with a big set of pliers and grab the shock from under the car and hold it

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good idea ,but i have no one as a helper, so thats not an option now.
im thinkin about heating up a 9/16 box end wrench and bending it 90 degrees to fit down in there and then maybe getting a small vise crip on the tip to turn it, slow and a pain, but maybe it'll work ?

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
When I took mine off - I did not have a helper.
The top of my threads tappered into a square with no treads.

I used vise grips here to keep from spinning while I started the nut off with a hand wrench.

G

·
0 Posts
If the shocks are going to be tossed, from under the car, put vice grips on the shaft and wedge it against something. It destroys the shock though.

·
Registered
313 Posts
There is a special tool that holds the very tip of the upper shaft where it is flattened. It has a 9/16 socket around the outside to grab the nut, KD Tools calls it a Front Shock tool, but it works on the rear of early Mustangs, also. The KD number is 2819, but I'm sure the are other companies that make something similar. It would be the same number in NAPA Specialty tools which are made by KD.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdsusp02.html#2819

I don't know anything about this web site. I just linked it because it has a picture of the tool.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks to all for the help and ideas
im gonna try one of those special shock tools, im hoping it'll reach down in the hole deep enuff that i can get a wrench on the end of it.
im tryin to save the shocks, but if nothin else works , the vise crips will be next.
i have at one time beat a big old screw driver threw the side of a shock from below to hold it from turning...very rusted threads on that one

1 - 8 of 8 Posts