Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fastback had no rear window trim when I bough the car. Caught in a downpour a couple of weeks ago, I noticed some water that was likely coming in from the rear glass.

For my B-day, SWMBO bought me the chrome trim I was missing but I am unsure of what to do about the leak. I suppose that having the chrome trim would help to deflect some of the water, but what else do I need to do?

The rubber around the rear window appears to be in great shape. Is there some other kind of sealant I can just put in the channel?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Is there some other kind of sealant I can just put in the channel?
Yes! Butyl window sealant, get it from NAPA.

BTW, the stainless trim will do little or nothing for a rear window leak....

Check for rust holes in the rear window channel, a common place for hidden rust is the lower corners.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will I be able to see the rust holes without removing the window? I can't see any with it in.

Can you apply Butyl with the glass already in? I hope so. I am really tring to avoid taking the glass out if possible.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Will I be able to see the rust holes without removing the window? I can't see any with it in.
Maybe from underneath..

Can you apply Butyl with the glass already in? I hope so. I am really tring to avoid taking the glass out if possible.
Yeh, the stuff comes in a caulking gun tube.... Open a small hole in the tip, wedge the tip between the glass and the gasket, squirt a small bead the entire circle. Then open the tip larger... apply between the gasket and the window channel, install the stainless immediately.
Clean up with mineral spirits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts