Vintage Mustang Forums banner

201 - 220 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Been real hit and miss progress lately, work on this, a few minutes on this, a little clean up and such. Along with narrowing the bolt pattern on the pedal support bracket, I also removed the clutch bushings and replaced with a set of Scott Drake roller bushings. Had to do some cutting off the top to fit the 65 cowl, Got the hole saw out and using the handy template that came with the boost unit, I cut new, higher firewall hole for the booster. I drilled two new holes in the support to match the firewall holes and the booster. Then cut the mounting nuts off the bracket and welded them over the new holes. Cleaned up and painted afterward, forgot to take a final picture but ended up looking pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Looking good. Who's hydroboost are you using?
It came from guy on E-Bay who seems to be very familiar with installations in first gen Mustangs. I guess I really should look at the numbers on the booster to verify, looks like a Bosh. Before the sale, he provided a number of pictures of installs and in process pics of a 66 install.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
It came from guy on E-Bay who seems to be very familiar with installations in first gen Mustangs. I guess I really should look at the numbers on the booster to verify, looks like a Bosh. Before the sale, he provided a number of pictures of installs and in process pics of a 66 install.
Thanks I bought the one for my 70 from him but haven't installed it yet.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #205

·
Registered
778 Posts
Just curious, does the Ebay source for the Hydroboost guarantee it will clear the Coyote? Without the cantilevered relocation bracket that HydraTech provides with their system, I can see it would be difficult to have clearance. I do not like the fact that the HydraTech location of the HB and MC block access to plugs 6, 7 , & 8. Not that I want to spend more money, but if there is a better fitting solution, I would like to see it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Thanks for the note from his website. Huntingky's car is Coyote powered, that why I asked. I have seen others engineer their own solutions that fit using a replica Boss 429 wedge for the firewall. I bought the wedge, then decided to go with the HydraTech solution. I really want to see pictures when you guys have your engines and the hydroboost installed.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Thanks for the note from his website. Huntingky's car is Coyote powered, that why I asked. I have seen others engineer their own solutions that fit using a replica Boss 429 wedge for the firewall. I bought the wedge, then decided to go with the HydraTech solution. I really want to see pictures when you guys have your engines and the hydroboost installed.

Thanks
Hey guys,
Not sure how I missed your questions and comments.

Yes, this is supposed to miss the Coyote, he sent pictures of an install on 67. Of course there is less room in my 65 and it will be tight but looks like the room is there. He said that the main area of concern is the hinges if using springs because if the springs deflect sideways there could be problems. I am using billets with cylinders though so should be fine.
image: Thanks for the encouragement! It utilizes a 99-04 Mustang Cobra MC

Attachments

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Been working on and off on a couple things over the past few weeks. There was of course some work on the quarter vent interior mechanism which is discussed at length on thread. Here are the details: The assemblies were pretty rusty which meant of course required disassembly and soaking in Evaporust. I am working on one at a time. Might have been quicker to tackle both at the same time but this way, I have one to reference while putting one back together. After taking the main frame out of the evaporust, I brushed on a coat of Rust Bullet. What I have left in the can is getting kind of thick and lumpy so I was left with some brush marks (I was out of foam brushes). I am more concerned with function than looks since it will never be seen once I install it. There there was the Super Glue...sigh.... I just can't seem to use Super Glue, any adhesive in fact, without getting it on me. I used the glue while installing the rubber gaskets to seal the air openings (thanks @drsbmiller ). One section where it runs under a spring clip proved to be challenging and I ended up getting on finger tips and every where I touched...DANG!.
The chrome slide handle was badly pitted so I replaced with a new repop. MUCH better looking than what I started with, now for the other side.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Another item I tackled was a refurb of the wiper system. I decided to upgrade motor to intermittent. The mounting bracket was rusty and didn't appear to have ever been painted so I cleaned, primered and applied a coat of Blitz Black. Don't want to bolt wiper mounts until I paint but I did go ahead and bolt the bracket and assembly up under the dash. Also ordered in original style leather gaskets for when I bolt the mounts in.

Attachments

·
Registered
1966 GT Fastback, 289, TKO 5-spd, EFI, 4-discs, TCP coilovers
172 Posts
Been working on and off on a couple things over the past few weeks. There was of course some work on the quarter vent interior mechanism which is discussed at length on thread. Here are the details: The assemblies were pretty rusty which meant of course required disassembly and soaking in Evaporust. I am working on one at a time. Might have been quicker to tackle both at the same time but this way, I have one to reference while putting one back together. After taking the main frame out of the evaporust, I brushed on a coat of Rust Bullet. What I have left in the can is getting kind of thick and lumpy so I was left with some brush marks (I was out of foam brushes). I am more concerned with function than looks since it will never be seen once I install it. There there was the Super Glue...sigh.... I just can't seem to use Super Glue, any adhesive in fact, without getting it on me. I used the glue while installing the rubber gaskets to seal the air openings (thanks @drsbmiller ). One section where it runs under a spring clip proved to be challenging and I ended up getting on finger tips and every where I touched...DANG!.
The chrome slide handle was badly pitted so I replaced with a new repop. MUCH better looking than what I started with, now for the other side.
It's true - slipping the gasket under / around the spring latch is a challenge. I dry-fit mine first just to see how to get the gasket under there, then did the gluing in just a one-inch segment.

I'm glad you posted some pics - it looks like the gasket fits fine and looks good. (OK, so nobody is going to see the glue oopses - no worries). But once glued on, how did the gasket work? Did it slide OK, and did it seal against the slide panel? Did you use any lubrication? (I used a thin, thin swipe of white lithium grease).

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
It's true - slipping the gasket under / around the spring latch is a challenge. I dry-fit mine first just to see how to get the gasket under there, then did the gluing in just a one-inch segment.

I'm glad you posted some pics - it looks like the gasket fits fine and looks good. (OK, so nobody is going to see the glue oopses - no worries). But once glued on, how did the gasket work? Did it slide OK, and did it seal against the slide panel? Did you use any lubrication? (I used a thin, thin swipe of white lithium grease).
lol...I dry fit it twice...and still flubbed it ha ha. Not sure what my problem was. Probably because I had already gotten a little glue on my finger tips and they didn't slide along the surface as easy as they should have when I was working it into place.
Slide works great, snug but no snags. I have some special O-ring lube I am going to apply before actually installing them. As I am a ways out from actually bolting them in, the grease would be a dust magnet right now.

·
Registered
172 Posts
lol...I dry fit it twice...and still flubbed it ha ha. Not sure what my problem was. Probably because I had already gotten a little glue on my finger tips and they didn't slide along the surface as easy as they should have when I was working it into place.
Slide works great, snug but no snags. I have some special O-ring lube I am going to apply before actually installing them. As I am a ways out from actually bolting them in, the grease would be a dust magnet right now.
I have been following your whole build - man, what a job, especially the amount of welding you've had to do! But it's look good ...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sorry - bad grammar ... "But it's looking good ...", or "But it looks good ..." - take your pick.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Just realized I hadn't posted anything about the lastest works. As long as I was working on the quarter vents, I decided to go ahead and look at the inside panels. The panels themselves are in very good condition but the chrome inserts however are pitted pretty bad so first order of business was to see if they would polish out any. Nope, too far gone. Searched and searched, doesn't appear anyone reproduces them either. Ended up searching Fleabay and found a set at a decent price with decent looking chrome and did the "Buy It Now" thing and got them in. The chrome is not perfect but is MUCH better than what I have, the panel itself was poorly painted some time in the past, black over top gold. Used a mix of paint stripper, scrub brush and wire wheel to remove the black, along with some of the gold. Followed up with good scrubbing with hot water and Dawn. I looked at possibly removing the inserts but it was going to be tricky both to remove them and then to reinstall them so decided to work with them in place.
I taped off the front side of the chrome to block over spray and taped around the edges on the back side then turned them over and applied 3 coats of John Deere Blitz Black. Once paint had dried but before hardening I pulled the tape and wiped faces down with little thinner to remove paint soak through and polished them out. No, not exactly new but pretty close and much better than what I had.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Ok, long time no updates.....wife shut down funds during virus issue. Right before it started though, I ordered a custom tank from Rick's Tanks. It finally arrived with mixed results. First off, the day it shipped, the balance showed up on credit card so there was some glaring from my wife....ha ha
Then, I gleefully unwrapped it and it looks great....except for a ding on the bottom which lines up with a hole in the cardboard that lines up with it. If it had only been on the top where the trunk mat would have covered. I told myself I could live with it, for a couple days then decided I had to fix it. I messaged Rick's Tanks about the possibility of me pulling the fuel pump and doing some dolly work to remove the ding.
They called me back a few hours later to tell me it would be very difficult to access the area because of the baffling and that they wanted to take care of it. They are to start a claim with UPS and send me a UPS pickup tag. If they follow through, I will be very happy with their service. The beveled corners are to make it easier to route exhaust through the IRS.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Hope they follow through for you. It's great that they got back to you quickly.

UPS might tell them it wasn't packed with enough protection. They put that nice solid wood on the sides and a flimsy piece of foam to protect the bottom.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Just realized I hadn't posted anything about the lastest works. As long as I was working on the quarter vents, I decided to go ahead and look at the inside panels. The panels themselves are in very good condition but the chrome inserts however are pitted pretty bad so first order of business was to see if they would polish out any. Nope, too far gone. Searched and searched, doesn't appear anyone reproduces them either. Ended up searching Fleabay and found a set at a decent price with decent looking chrome and did the "Buy It Now" thing and got them in. The chrome is not perfect but is MUCH better than what I have, the panel itself was poorly painted some time in the past, black over top gold. Used a mix of paint stripper, scrub brush and wire wheel to remove the black, along with some of the gold. Followed up with good scrubbing with hot water and Dawn. I looked at possibly removing the inserts but it was going to be tricky both to remove them and then to reinstall them so decided to work with them in place.
I taped off the front side of the chrome to block over spray and taped around the edges on the back side then turned them over and applied 3 coats of John Deere Blitz Black. Once paint had dried but before hardening I pulled the tape and wiped faces down with little thinner to remove paint soak through and polished them out. No, not exactly new but pretty close and much better than what I had.
Mine are really bad. I'm either going to powdercoat them a gloss black (so they stand out just a bit from the satin color that will be on the panel). Or maybe do a silver or chrome powdercoat and then spraypaint them black and wipe off the paint from the top.

Reactions: Huntingky
201 - 220 of 235 Posts