Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think the door weatherstrip channels are reproduced for a 65 Fastback. I've read that you can modify the coupe versions to work on a fastback. Has anyone actually done this? Would love to see some tips and pics of what had to be done? The curve at the upper rear edge of the door opening is a lot different, so I imagine it involved making a form and beating on it with a hammer, but would love to hear from someone who actually made this work.

I only have one side for the weatherstrip channel and it's really rough and might not be salvageable.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have not done it, but I am working on a 66FB project that came with the original weatherstrip channels that were taken out of the car. When I first looked at them, I thought they were ruined by the PO when he took them out because the inner channel has a split where it curves around the window. Turns out, the factory actually put a split in the flat of the channel in order to fit it to the curve around the window. Thought you may want to know how the factory did it.....

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks....the inner trim pieces are split up like that real bad. Good to know it was on purpose.

The one weatherstrip channel I have isn't split as bad, but it's bent up pretty bad. Some work might save that one, but I'm still missing the other side.

·
Registered
33,843 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
There are 2 pieces of stainless trim that make up the weatherstrip channel on each side. I believe Ford calls them the "extension" and the "retainer". The extensions recently became available in reproduction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts