Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help.

5 years ago I finished a 6 year restoration in 2 weeks due to my reporting to active duty with the Navy. So needless to say there were some things that just got ignored. My car has served me well as my Leave ride but those problems that I tried to fix everytime I went home are still eating me. I am getting out in 33 days and I to get go home and work on my dream car again.

First problem. I replaced the doors due to rust. Now they dont and never did line up right. It makes the body lines look horrid. I have to adjust the driver door every other time I go home on leave because It will sag. The doors are verry hard to close... which you dont do anyhow because you have to slam them. They just dont have that token mustang sound when you shut the door. I have adjusted both sides every way I can think of, and I bought new hinges . I need some suggestions please.

Next. The window wont go all the way up. They barely touch the weather stripping at the top of the roof. This makes for a drafty and noisey ride. My girlfriend isnt impressed. I am not sure if this problem stems from the doors or if it is the internal hardware.

And last but not least....I have an A code 289. My Grandpa had the Engine rebuilt in 1996 and I was happy with it. Till I found out what an A code car should feel like. I looked at the work order and found that my Grandpa had the mechanic put in dished pistons. I talked with the man that built my engine and he says on a good day I might have 8.5 to 1 compression. It has some fearce blow by from the crank case vent, and the power just isnt there. It only has 6000 miles on it, and it runs fine but I want the power that the compression can give me. Can I get away with replacing the pistons and rings only or should I have the whole engine tore down and machined?

Any help you gents or Gals would offer up would be great,Thanks

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
When you swap doors from one car to another it is not the sheetmetal that is different, since they are all stamped at the same time. Often it is the window adjustments. The wing-window frame can be out of place for your car causing it to bind when the door closes. It could be perfect for the car it came off of, but just not yours. This will keep the door from closing all the way (binding and hard to close). It would also explain your windows not going up all of the way.

Suggestion: Take the door panels off, loosen ALL of the window tracks and vent window frame. Adjust the door to fit into your door opening so that your gaps and body lines are correct and it closes correctly. THEN adjust your windows starting with the vent window frame so that you get a tighht fit, but not too tight. You should be able to place a dollar bill between the window frame and door opening seal, close the door and pull the dollar out from between the window and seal. It should feel tight, like you may rip the dollar, but not too loose where it just slips out. Once you get it right, tighten it all down and enjoy.

PS: If your going to go into an engine you might as well do it 100% right from top to bottom.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Olddustyrelic has good suggestions, as an FYI my driver's window would not go all the way up despite numerous adjustments because the regulator was just too worn. I got a Scott Drake repro and it fits snugly now. As for the engine if the rebuild was done properly and the engine is sound and there is no significant wear (measure the bore and check for ridge) you could get away with new pistons and rings. BUT, 1) I don't think it would be worth the hassle and expense and 2) it doesn't sound as if your engine is in good shape to begin with. You should determine the problem before you start replacing pistons or any other work on the engine.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
If your doors are coninuing to sag you likely have worn out hinges. You can by hinge pin rebuild kits.

Your engine may have been rebuilt but your heads may not have been. You may have to rebuild your heads and at the same time you can get some of your compression back by having the heads milled a bit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts