Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the 65 all back together and took a first ride around the block on Friday evening. Didn't get far though as one of the internal keepers on the U-joint came off and thump thump...Had to get back home with one foot on the brake and one on the gas to keep constant pressure on the connection..Made it right to the yard where I had to take my foot off the gas and the driveshaft fell down..No damage.Got a new u-joint and put that together on Saturday.Went for another run and the shifter came loose, no gears, darn pin came out of the lower shift bracket. Crawl under th car, get it into reverse, back into a driveway, get under the car, change the gears so I am in second and drive home...This time I put a pin in that has a thin head at one end and a cotter pin in the other, it is not going to drop out again., lol.I guess I should replace the lower bracket as it has been welded before and is pretty sloppy. Expensive little piece of metal though, $41.95 US ..but if you need one you need one..
Was out cruisin today again and everything went fine, took the 02 GT out, the 69 Grande and the 65 2+2 all for a ride today..Man the older cars are rough ridin compared to the new ones..

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I fired my '65 fb up for the first time in two plus years on Friday. Engine fired right up but noted the oil pressure light works backwards, off when still, on when running. This is due to using a late model switch sensor rather than the early one. There's a lot of header noise and so I've gotta find out why so much racket. Tried tightening them today and they did need it but it didn't help much. Perhaps its at the junction between the headers and head pipes. The worst part is the steering. A two mile trip proved interesting as the car wandered back and forth rather than going straight down the road. 35 mph was about as fast as I could drive with any confidence of keeping the car in my lane. All other aspects seem good except perhaps the Holley needs a float level adjustment (I don't see the fuel mid line in the windows).

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have this one, like the 69 completely according to the numbers, so everything is stock and correct..Even the radio and windshield washer with the one squirt for each time you push the button...I have been doing these things a bit to fast, should be able to keep a person busy for at least 2 to 3 years. Seems I have been doing one every 14 months..Gets a bit pricey, hard on the wallet. I do have evrything working, all the lights, gauges/idiot lights all working good.Even the gas gauge..Mind yoou it should as well, as there is completely new wiring throughout and a new sender as well.
Good luck to you..My next project will be the Plymouth Fury, 1963, 2 DR HT , auto, 413..

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I've learned my lesson, I'm never doing another restoration. Resource requirements are just too great for I need a larger garage to start and a fatter wallet to continue!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know just what you mean. I have a 1600 sq.ft. shop to work in, all the tools needed, air, welder, etc..I really would not want to look at the total cost of everything and then the cost of the cars on top of that..I did get a new RV last year so that was a good excuse for the bigger size shop. Put in a 16 cieling and doors so it is also accessable for heavy trucks..Resale value on the property is better that way. Live in a logging dependent town.
Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts