Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put new carpet in my vert and now the old ratty white floor mats look terrible. Question: What kind of mats did a stock interior car come with? I see both rubber with pony and carpet available. Did 65's come with carpeted mats or rubber ones? Were pony mats just for pony interiors?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
Rubber Pony mats were what was ordered. They were usually a dealer item and could be ordered over the counter also. They were the only mats offered for the Mustang by Ford. J.C. Whitney offered a "Striped" GT Rally Stripe version which is still available through Mustangs Unlimited.

Carpetted mats were NEVER available originally when the car was built. Only in the aftermarket, never by Ford in the 1960's.

Tony K.

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
Pony mats could have come in any interior (Standard or Deluxe) if "MATS" were checked off on the original order form.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
Just put new carpet in my vert and now the old ratty white floor mats look terrible. Question: What kind of mats did a stock interior car come with? I see both rubber with pony and carpet available. Did 65's come with carpeted mats or rubber ones? Were pony mats just for pony interiors?
Strictly an accessory. Anyone could buy them.

Try scrubbing yours with Westlys Bleche White tire cleaner.

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts

Thanks
I have some green pony mats for my car. But since my car is black, I've tried to paint it black but didn't like how it came out. Tried to carpet it and strings from the carpet came off. So just the other day, I took sme black vinyl type material which is thin but strong, and 3m glued it to the mat and so far, it's holding up great. You can see the pony on it still. But I add the mustang emblem at the bottom. I got the vinyl material just so it's easy to clean off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts