Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 1965 Ford Mustang (Driver's side door) window glass is moving back and forth when in the door causing the windows to hit. I opened the door and can physically move the glass back and forth in the quarter window track. How can I correct this? Here's a video of the window movement front to back

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update - I took the door apart and get a lot of front to back movement of the window in the track. if I manually push the window forward (towards the engine) the door closes without hitting the back tiny window. I have zero ideas on how to secure the window front to back the the front quarter window looks to be in the correct spot.

·
Registered
595 Posts
My memory is that there are two guides for the door window. The forward guide is part of the vent window sub-assembly. The guide track should have fabric lining the channel. The channel attaches to the vent window as an interference fit. If it has slipped either at the top or bottom, it won't be parallel to the door window forward edge, possibly creating a too large gap. Also, make sure the vent window is secured to the door structure.

There is an aft guide track too. This is attached by the fasteners on the door edge. Perhaps your guide track is loose and/or missing the fabric liner.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My memory is that there are two guides for the door window. The forward guide is part of the vent window sub-assembly. The guide track should have fabric lining the channel. The channel attaches to the vent window as an interference fit. If it has slipped either at the top or bottom, it won't be parallel to the door window forward edge, possibly creating a too large gap. Also, make sure the vent window is secured to the door structure.

There is an aft guide track too. This is attached by the fasteners on the door edge. Perhaps your guide track is loose and/or missing the fabric liner.
Thanks for the time and info. The vent window assembly looks to be secure and in the right spot. Its weird because the felt track at the end of the door is there but its attached via bolts at the back of the door so Im not seeing a way to push to forward and pinch the glass tight. And when the glass is up, it doesn't really sit in the majority of that back track. I hate not being able to figure things out. Passenger door sits fine and is nice and tight.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I have the same issue, so I'll be watching this. I think everything that can be adjusted has been.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I had the same problem at the passenger side. All original except for the front guide and some new felt glued in the back. Tried everything, and after many hours with bloody hands, sleepless nights and mysterious disappearing tools I gave up. I ended with two large washers between the lower mounting point of the rear guide and the inside of the door (E at the drawing). Problem solved but I have now idea what was the cause.....

·
Registered
563 Posts
I think this is simply the result of imprecision in the making of these parts. The inner doors have bent steel brackets welded into them and I don't think they are all 100% the same. Then you also have the compounding problem of the body and window gaps that are very inconsistent to say the least. On a given door, the vent window assembly may need to be shifted forward or aft to create a proper seal with the A-pillar, this changes the dimensions between the two window channels and can make for these problems. It's always a compromise when adjusting these things.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think this is simply the result of imprecision in the making of these parts. The inner doors have bent steel brackets welded into them and I don't think they are all 100% the same. Then you also have the compounding problem of the body and window gaps that are very inconsistent to say the least. On a given door, the vent window assembly may need to be shifted forward or aft to create a proper seal with the A-pillar, this changes the dimensions between the two window channels and can make for these problems. It's always a compromise when adjusting these things.
Problem I have is I need the window to slide towards the engine not backwards by moving the wind wing. Im stumped and it fit great for awhile so something changed or happened.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had the same problem at the passenger side. All original except for the front guide and some new felt glued in the back. Tried everything, and after many hours with bloody hands, sleepless nights and mysterious disappearing tools I gave up. I ended with two large washers between the lower mounting point of the rear guide and the inside of the door (E at the drawing). Problem solved but I have now idea what was the cause.....
It's driving me nuts because the passenger door is nice and tight and minus pulling everything from the door Im not sure what to do.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the same issue, so I'll be watching this. I think everything that can be adjusted has been.
Fixed by adjusting both window glass vertical stops. A very simple weird fix. You have two on the door, one near the front and one near the back. Not real sure how adjusting them fixed this but major difference and no more door sticking so Ill take it. I ll try and post a new picture of the window gaps. Im going to try the same steps with the passenger door next.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts