Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Mustang, 302, C4 and 9 inch
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm upgrading to a GT grill and fog lights - I received the parts today and I surprised to see the grill is gray-ish. Is that a correct color or should it be black? Maybe it's a preference?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
That's correct. Almost a blue-ish grey from the factory. Many people paint them black thinking they're faded, or out of preference.

Reactions: amccue

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,729 Posts
I'm upgrading to a GT grill and fog lights - I received the parts today and I surprised to see the grill is gray-ish. Is that a correct color or should it be black? Maybe it's a preference?
You are the 1st person I've seen that put the year of their car along with their forum pic. Excellent idea and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
11,426 Posts
I painted my '65 grille Graphite. I think it's pretty close to the original color but it's been a long time since I've seen a non-faded original.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
As said, "bluish green" is orig. for 65

to some a surprise to many for 67 stang, it too is very close to 65 bluish grill for orig color, not black. The Ford service replacement ones were black in the 70's.
My 67 GT grill is an NOS gun metal bluish

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
. Painting the grill black, makes it invisible and anything that's not black behind it becomes visible. The designer wanted the grill to be some level of visible, so he gave it a little color.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Yes, a bluish gray. I forget now who sold it, but, it's is a bit unique. I looked long and hard for the correct paint long ago.....It has held up very well to this day.....very similar pic 22GT...Only my pony has more color, LOL!

Attachments

·
Vendor
3,769 Posts
Out of curiosity, did you order the grille from NPD? Because I was the one who worked with Golden Legion to make correctly detailed grilles under new part #'s. I sent them over a spray-out-card of the correct color, helped them source the correct smooth-head black anodized rivets, and instructed them to leave the rivets and brackets black as-original.

I had assumed it was to be an exclusive detail, in exchange for my "intel", but if it's open-market so be it, not much of my time invested there.

Also, the 1967 grille paint is considerably darker than 1965. I recently discovered that our 1967 grille paint that we sell was too light, so we just got done reformulating BOTH the 1965 and the 1967 grille paints (AP-GPB and AP-GPC respectively) using original low-mile production parts to benchmark the paints. They turned out absolutely perfect.

Below are samples of each color, 1965 on the left, 1967 on the right.

Rick
NPD

·
Vendor
3,769 Posts
My camera does a lousy job of picking-up the bluish hue of the 1965 gray, but trust me, it's dead-nuts-on, I just held that card against the grille in my 1,300-mile '65 coupe, and it's indiscernible from original.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
My camera does a lousy job of picking-up the bluish hue of the 1965 gray, but trust me, it's dead-nuts-on, I just held that card against the grille in my 1,300-mile '65 coupe, and it's indiscernible from original.
Looks perfect to my eye Rick! My grill is now approx. 13-14 years after the fact. Still looks good. Wish I could remember the vendor. Now, we know you're the "guy" with the paint.

·
Registered
1965 Mustang, 302, C4 and 9 inch
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Out of curiosity, did you order the grille from NPD? Because I was the one who worked with Golden Legion to make correctly detailed grilles under new part #'s. I sent them over a spray-out-card of the correct color, helped them source the correct smooth-head black anodized rivets, and instructed them to leave the rivets and brackets black as-original.

I had assumed it was to be an exclusive detail, in exchange for my "intel", but if it's open-market so be it, not much of my time invested there.

Also, the 1967 grille paint is considerably darker than 1965. I recently discovered that our 1967 grille paint that we sell was too light, so we just got done reformulating BOTH the 1965 and the 1967 grille paints (AP-GPB and AP-GPC respectively) using original low-mile production parts to benchmark the paints. They turned out absolutely perfect.

Rick
NPD View attachment 759883
This one came from CJ Pony

·
Registered
35,216 Posts

Rick
NPD View attachment 759883
Nice work. For years it annoyed me that no one offered the 67 grille paint.

·
Registered
216 Posts
FOR 1965 --- Does anyone know of [and used] a 'close enough' rattle can color one could buy at an auto parts store or Lowe's ???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts