Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to mount the front grill from a '65 car onto a '66 mustang? I just like the honeycomb style a little better than the bricks... thoughts? Would it be possible if I switched out the hood latch to a '65 version?

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
A 66 hood latch will work on a 65, so I imagine a 65 latch will work on a 66. The advantage of a 65 latch is that you can add the grille support for the 65 onto the latch and not have the grille bow inwards. The grille support will not fit onto a 66 latch assembly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is it possible to mount the front grill from a '65 car onto a '66 mustang? I just like the honeycomb style a little better than the bricks... thoughts? Would it be possible if I switched out the hood latch to a '65 version?
Absolutely. My 66 had the 65 grill on it and I just changed to 66. I have the 65 grill if you are interested.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Absolutely. My 66 had the 65 grill on it and I just changed to 66. I have the 65 grill if you are interested.
Did you have to make any modifications, like the hood latch assembly, to use the 65 grill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Any thought to simply black out the '66 grill? I did that as well as blacking out the argent color on the grill trim and horse corral.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Did you have to make any modifications, like the hood latch assembly, to use the 65 grill?
You have to use the '65 hood latch assembly with the '65 grille.
We went through this swap within the past year. As I recall it was member LeeFred who was swapping from the '66 to '65 grille. If you can find that thread there are pictures of the differences between the '65 and '66 hood latches. And they are major differences.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Here's the thread from last year where I wanted to install the grille support for a 65, but I had a 66 hood latch assembly.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
The actual hood latch is VERY different between the 2 years. IF you look top down, you will see the mounting plate has 2 holes (1966) versus 3 holes. (1965) The actual latch has 2 or 3 holes, so they do not interchange with the top plate. The top plate also is "flat" for the 1966 and "ramped" for the 1965, and there is an extra stamped steel bracket that mounts to the top of the 1965 top plate. The long brace that comes down from the hood latch is the same.

·
Registered
33,894 Posts
Then again, if you're halfway decent with a small cut-off wheel, file, and soldering (Muggy Weld) you can buy sheet aluminum pretty cheap from places like Grainger and make your own using a trashed '66 grille for hardware....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Then again, if you're halfway decent with a small cut-off wheel, file, and soldering (Muggy Weld) you can buy sheet aluminum pretty cheap from places like Grainger and make your own using a trashed '66 grille for hardware....
Excellent @Woodchuck, when are you going to shop that out to me ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts