Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying a 65 GT Fastback. What should I expect the engine code to be? I thought K was GT but I am seeing GT's with A code engines?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
It could be either A or K. In fact, the vast majority of GTs in 65 and 66 were A-Codes. K-code cars are pretty rare, even among GTs. Anything other than an A or K is not a GT. One other thing that will disqualify it as a real GT would be a build date of Jan 65 or earlier. The first were built in February. Good luck and let us know what you end up buying!

Glenn Morgan 66 GT Fastback 351w+toploader

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
In addition to Glenn's concise explanation, you might want to set aside between 10-14K for a decent example of a true GT fastback...
I've been looking at fastbacks a lot in the last couple years since I want to replace my race car with a street fastback and have seen unremarkable examples (say a #3-4) in the 8-12K range compared to a regular A coder or C coder, which have been in the 6-10K range out here in California....

If you're looking for a true GT fastback and aren't sure how to distinguish the real thing from a fake, read up and talk to knowledgeable Mustang hobbyists before you plunk down your money...

For an example of what a true K code GT can bring in ragtop form, keep an eye on this auction for a restored example of the breed....

Good luck!

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
So if you see a suppose GT fastback with a T engine code, walk away! *G*

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
for $35k invested i would expect a little better... i mean come on, where the hell are the front bumper guards? the grill is not supposed to be scraped on a 66 GT and the damn gas cap is crooked. i liked that vacuum advance on what is most assuredly an incorrect distributor. i'd bet reserve will not be met... even at $30k

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
That questionable car's auction closed with no sale. The bid went all the way up to $29,100, but was retracted because they were not sure it was the original engine as most of us questioned as well.

Rich
1966 Mustang GT convertible; PO of a 1965 K-code convert

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Hey Charles,
Not all of us are MCA judges....the car looked like a pretty decent example of a K code ragtop to illustrate the point I was making about pricing..

The reserve was met this morning at 28K....for an interesting development, check this out...

It's sometimes interesting what happens when it comes down to brass tacks (or K code engines)....

*G*

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I forgot the K engines didn't have vacuum advance. So I guess if you pop the cap off that car's distributor you'll likely see one set of points.

What I find amusing is when they say "just like it was when it rolled off the assembly line" and it has cheapo door lock knobs and that goofy corregated plastic wire sleeve wrap.

Didn't the K engine last until 1967?

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
It's good to be observant, especially if your bidding on a high-dollar car like a K-code GT 'vert. I noticed the distro and wire loom covers too. Makes you wonder about everything else said, including the $35K supposedly spent on the resto, that the "stripes down the side" are a feature of the K-code, and "rebuilt to factory specs"

Yes, the K-code 289 Hi-po was available through '67.

Rich
1966 Mustang GT convertible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts