Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The individual who replaced the headliner in my 65 Fastback did a nice job on the install but unfortunately did not install any insulation. The car is Raven Black and when the Florida sun hits it, the roof interior / headliner obviously becomes quite hot. I understand the process to redo the headliner with insulation would require front / rear window removal. To avoid this, I am wondering if If any member thinks would be at all possible to pull the windlace on the drivers or passenger side to expose a space between the roof and headliner and then slide some insulation material in between the seams all the way to the other side of the roof. When pushing the headliner with my finger from the inside, there seems to be sufficient space (3/4 - 1“) to slide the insulation in between roof and headliner. I understand this probably not doable but just had a passing thought on how to deal with this when I was examining the problem. Thx

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
I think you could, but the material would then lay on the headliner as opposed to being glued to the roof. Not sure if it would cause any issues or not, but it does beg the ion, right?

·
Premium Member
4,355 Posts
I think it would be worth just re-doing correctly. Besides the windlace, there should be some adhesive on the sides. The metal bows that hold the headliner up rest against the insulation. It would be a good time to inspect the inside roof for flash rust, clean and paint, add even more insulation than the factory did (I love this mod) and re-install a headliner. It's not that hard. I've done a few by myself. It's a lot easier with a friend, or with a couple of C-notes for an installer while you wait in the AC. I have seen people do a headliner without removing the glass, but I'd rather do it right.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for the comments. Might possibly give it a try prior to doing the Full Monty so to speak in that I would have nothing to lose at that point. True that the insulation would lay on the headliner vs. adhering to the ceiling itself - that crossed my mind as a negative as well.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I've got my windows and headliner out right now. Going to add dyanmat and then glue the original style to that. It is what it is! haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts