Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, I’ve got a 65 mustang and the hood will not budge from the open position all of the sudden. It is just stuck completely in the full open position and will not move to close. Appears that the hinges are some how binding against themselves.

·
Registered
35,492 Posts
Either the photo is distorted or the hinge is. Spray some penetrating grease into the hinge points and try to wiggle it loose.

·
Premium Member
11,777 Posts
Yep, I see a pair of new hinges in your future. You'll be happy to hear that those members who have installed new hinges report amazing results. As the hinges wear out over a period of 50 years the wear is slow and we don't notice it until something like this happens.

·
Registered
35,492 Posts
It's all about the care. I have my original hinges still in use, perfectly straight, and smooth operation. Of course, I bought the car about 45 years ago, and have kept it lubricated.

·
Registered
7,087 Posts
I replaced mine a few years ago with a HD set from CJs. With the new hinges and springs, I have to hold the hood to keep it from opening too quickly. The hinges are heavier than the original.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Take the hood off and you can see how badly damaged your hinges are. They are either bent, broken or the pivot points are slotted out. Replace them or rebuild them (if you have the equipment).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay. I took the springs out and was able to close hood. Re-opened and Replaced springs and hood wouldn’t close again. appears spring puts driver side hinge in a bind. so right now I’ve got spring out on that side spring in on passenger side and it opens and closes fine. Looks like new hinges are in my future for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts