Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled my oil pan to clean it up and repaint it and found the timing chain deflection at about an inch. I'm going to replace it but was wondering WHAT IF the chain skipped a cog.. I want to be sure to have the sprockets aligned correctly when I put the new chain and sprockets back in. Any suggestions?? The engine was idling like it was missing a beat. I checked all the spark plugs and they are all nice and clean (no oil at all on them) and the electrodes are sort of grey... The timing was WAY out so I moved it to the 12 degrees like it is supposed to be and drove it around a few days before deciding to pull and clean the oil pan. I'm getting a kit with the chain/sprockets and gaskets for the water pump and timing cover. If nothing else, I'm glad to have pulled the pan and found the chain.. I could have been stuck in nowheres land... Thanks for any advice.. Martin

·
Registered
124 Posts
I replaced mine last summer, it wasn't too bad of a job but I'm sure it took me four times longer than it should have. I was redoing my front-end, and noticed my harmonic balancer was bad, so that led to "if I take this off I'd be a fool not to replace that". The balancers are notorious for slipping so I'd think hard about replacing it while you have it off.

As far as the sprocket alignment goes, if I understand your question correctly, there are marks on the sprockets that you line up before you take the chain off, and then make sure they are lined up again when you put the new chain on.

Hardest part for me was getting the harmonic balancer off. I had never done this before and didn't know the tricks out there. I ended up taking out one of the harmonic balancer bolts and then connecting a chain between it and the frame. There's probaby an easier way, but it worked for me.

Mr. Damper (you can find him on the internet) was a good source for the balancer.

Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
66I6 is right. the Gears have marks on them that must line up before you put the new chain on. it is a relatively easy job. Get a puller to remove the harmonic balancer. it will make life much easier. As far as your engine missing a beat. Is it a complete cut out or is it just a slight shudder? I believe it has to do with the fuel distribution down the long intake log. the #1 and #6 cylinders tend to lean out. if you rebuild your carb it will help this problem. Also if there is a lot of slop in the timing chain that will contribute to the problem

Don

·
Registered
759 Posts
If anyone is interested since we are on the timing chain topic. At another site we are doing a double roller chain group buy. This will be in a few months. If you are interested PM me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a special puller for $10 and had no problems ONCE I REMOVED THE WASHER that the large bold pressed down onto was removed. (was a long day).. At this time I have EVERYTHING apart and will start to clean up the underside of the engine (old gasket material) and some painting as needed THEN I'll line up the sprokets and switch out the chain/sprokets... Thanks for your info... Martin

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How did you get the harmonic ballancer back on?? I don't want to use a mallot.. Will starting the bolt and snug it down be ok (easiest??)) ?? Thanks for your original reply too.. Martin

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the timing chain installed with LITTLE (some problems) so I'm a happy camper. The NEW chain is TIGHT!! The old one had about 1+ inches of slack.. I'm in no hurry to get it all back together.. LOTS of little stuff to clean up/repaint/fix in the next couple of days. Thanks to all the good advice.. Martin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts