Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure one of the experts here has the answer. I just replaced the ignition switch, solenoid, and neutral safety switch on my '65 coupe. (289, C-4) Now it'll start...but only in neutral, not park. I adjusted the safety switch according to the manual...but no change. Why won't it start in park? What am I missing? Thanks in advance...

·
1,217 Posts
My .02 would be that either something isn't right with the adjustment of the switch or there is a position in the rotation of the NSS that doesn't provide contact.

I know you said you adjusted per the manual but maybe that didn't get adjusted enough or something.

You may be able to use your ohm meter and turn the NSS manually (off the trans) to where it would sit in Park and see if you get continuity?

If you can't get that position to make contact..then the switch will never work in Park.

Sorry..it's the only things I could think of to try.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Napa....

I used a thin allen wrench in place of the drill bit to line up the holes. Maybe the diameter was off just enough to cause the problem...
My other thought was, maybe the gear shift rod itself needs adjustment..

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
wishfulthinking said:
Napa....

I used a thin allen wrench in place of the drill bit to line up the holes. Maybe the diameter was off just enough to cause the problem...
My other thought was, maybe the gear shift rod itself needs adjustment..
Wishful - I have found a wire coat hanger to be the perfect diameter for adjusting the NSS. I agree with others that this is the most likely cause for your problem.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Another way is if you have backup lights, turn the key to on, put car in reverse, turn the NSS until the backup lights come on. Secure the switch down.

If you don't have backup lights on the car. The two wires for the backup lights are still there on the switch. You can either use the car's battery or a battery charger and set up a dummy test light circuit and again twist the switch til the light comes on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
post script....it was just an adjustment....used a piece of coathanger as suggested, tightened 'er down...and it worked like a champ.
thanks for the help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts