Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im from washington and last June i purchased a 65' coup with a straight six in it. Ive been trying to get it started ever since. I re-built the carb and checked the gas lines and fuel pump. All were ok. One of my cousins owns an old duster and on his engin he has to have a cap over a hole in the top of the cover where the pistons are. On my engin im missing a cap that goes on the engin about 2-3 inches from the front of the piston block. I wondering if i need this "cap" for proper combustion to take place etc? Is this the case?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
from the piston block?
do you have a pic?
Also... check the fuel filter. it's a small screw on piece right where the gasline meets the carb.
Will the car turn over?

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Sounds like you're talking about the oil filler opening. It's not needed to get an engine to crank. But the oil will come out of it & make a mess.
Check you points. Check to make sure gas is going into the intake. Timing.
It could be a lot of things with the little bit of info you gave us. Does the engine spit thru the carb while trying to crank? Does it try to crank, but just spins? Need more info...

66 Coupe, 302, Auto, 3.25 gears. [color:red]Candyapple Red</font color=red> with White Pearl Stripes. Cragars.
http://web.infoave.net/~ronniek

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks for the ideas. The oil filter is good and its sucking gas and i can see it coming out through the carb. To get it to start though i have to dump a little bit of gas down the carb. The only way i can get to to keep running and some times it still dies this way is to hold it in full open by pressing the butterfly valve down of the metal rod attached to it. It will turn over and run really roughly for about 5 seconds and come to an abrupt stop , without me holdling in full open, with a backfire coming out of that hole. My battery is dead so to even start i have to pull around our expedition to jump it. I dont know about the timing, i havent checked it and right now dont know how. Im reading a book on that.

Eagle Scout Troop 510
Bonney Lake, Wa
10-25-00

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds like it might tbe the ignition. make sure the points are gapped propperly.

i often pull a plug and let it rest against the block to see how well it fires while someone else turns the motor over....not the most technical way....

65 pony from ground up, inline 6 (son's car),
66 Red Convertible, 289(dad's car)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts