Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Love the car and wish I could keep it, but my engine locked up and needs To be replaced. If I knew a thing about engine work I would keep it and do it myself. Don’t have the money for labor + new engine. Letting it go for $7,500 bucks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
**** - I would be sending the cash right now if you wern't on the other side of the country - if its as nice as it looks in the pics, thats a deal! I even have a spare 302.....

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Could be a relatively simple fix !

Reactions: Israel

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I just drove to KC for an engine, thats 1/2 way or so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
**** - I would be sending the cash right now if you wern't on the other side of the country - if its as nice as it looks in the pics, thats a deal! I even have a spare 302.....
My mustang is as nice as in the pictures. Too bad you’re across the country.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
If i were working on it, I'd like to know what the engine was doing just before it stopped (noises etc), pull the plugs, the valve covers, the oil pan, learn what I could before making a decision. Maybe a broken valvetrain component, timing piece, a single rod, and yeah the thing could have completely seized but these are incredibly durable engines.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If i were working on it, I'd like to know what the engine was doing just before it stopped (noises etc), pull the plugs, the valve covers, the oil pan, learn what I could before making a decision. Maybe a broken valvetrain component, timing piece, a single rod, and yeah the thing could have completely seized but these are incredibly durable engines.
I was on the highway getting off the off ramp. When I hit the speed of about 5mph, it came to a complete stop. When I tried to turn it back up, all I heard was a clicking noise.

·
Super Moderator
10,231 Posts
Clicking noise is an Easy fix, recharge / replace the battery, to start.

I’d have it towed to a local shop if you’re total unable to diagnose it yourself.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Weak battery or alternator not charging running the battery down could cause your car to die too. I had that happen to me once. First I noticed cruise control dropped out, then a few miles later AC quit, another mile and radio quit. Finally the engine quit on a very hot Sunday in Kansas with my family along.

·
Registered
1966 GT Fastback, 289, TKO 5-spd, EFI, 4-discs, TCP coilovers
288 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts