Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings-

I noticed the center post on the water pump that goes through the pulley is hitting/rubbing the center of my electric fan mounted to the radiator. It has the slightest of opening when not in use but either engine movement or expansion of the aluminum radiator makes the post rub/rotate into the back of the new electric fan. Any options to shorten the center post on the water pump or way to avoid this bc I dont see any option to adjust the electric fan. Concerned over time this could wear down or break the electric fan. Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,888 Posts
Remove the fan, 10 seconds with a cut-off wheel, reinstall the fan, done.

Reactions: awhtx

·
Dimples
7,400 Posts
May I ask why you can’t adjust the fan mount? I have a similar setup, and it’s close, but it was a pretty simple thing to move the fan over a touch and problem solved.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
May I ask why you can’t adjust the fan mount? I have a similar setup, and it’s close, but it was a pretty simple thing to move the fan over a touch and problem solved.
Im not sure I can adjust. The backside of the radiator has bolts attached to it exactly where the fan tightens down to. I dont see any adjustments points. Just bolts, fan goes on, then nuts. Am I missing some adjustment point? I can upload some more pics tomorrow if that helps. Thanks for any help

·
Dimples
7,400 Posts
Im not sure I can adjust. The backside of the radiator has bolts attached to it exactly where the fan tightens down to. I dont see any adjustments points. Just bolts, fan goes on, then nuts. Am I missing some adjustment point? I can upload some more pics tomorrow if that helps. Thanks for any help
It surely depends on how it’s mounted, but yes, more photos that shed light on that mounting would be helpful. Could be as simple as making some new holes, could be more involved. Either way, I personally would exhaust all efforts to slightly shift the fan before I started modifying the water pump.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It surely depends on how it’s mounted, but yes, more photos that shed light on that mounting would be helpful. Could be as simple as making some new holes, could be more involved. Either way, I personally would exhaust all efforts to slightly shift the fan before I started modifying the water pump.
Here's what I figured out. The fan mounts around the radiator like a sleeve. It has two bolts on each side with small left to right wiggle room. The water pump shaft is dead center in the fan so even if I move it left or right it looks like it will still rub the fan at some location. I did include a cold gap picture showing a bigger gap after the car has sat overnight. I assume Im getting swell from the radiator during use which is causing the rubbing. Fan in brand new. Do I just let it rub and hope it makes a groove where everything continues to work?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.