Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.....,

I have registered to hopefully glean some useful imformation about my friends '65 coupe...he is not computer savvy!!
He recently found and imported a '65 home to the UK, but is having trouble finding concrete info regarding the VIN... ::
He simply wants to know wether all the "bits" are original and i am posting the info as told to me, so sorry for anything which may be not quite right!!

One plate reads... 6ro7c198127 ( possibly the third is a zero/or a letter )

On the driver door the plate reads :-
YEAR 65A COLOR P.DATE 11E DSO
TRANS 6.6

This is all i have right now and i hope somebody can unravel these plates ::

The car NOW is Prairie bronze, with a 289 CI and a three
speed auto trans Inside there are black buckets and black everything else too!!!

Thanks in advance :: and maybe more queries will follow, but i'm sure you are a patient bunch!!! :D

Trevor....

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Decodes as follows:

6ro7c198127
6 = 1966
R = San Jose, CA, Assembly Plant
07 = Coupe bodystyle
C = 289 2-V (2 barrel) engine code
198127 = Consecutive Unit Number (each year starts at 100000)

YEAR 65A COLOR P.DATE 11E DSO
TRANS 6.6 (okay, this plate description you have given isn't quite it. There's a top row of text, and a bottom row of codes. Post them back here like this: 65A - P - 11E - etc. etc.) Here's a stab at it:
65A = 2-door hardtop (std bucket seats)
P = Antique Bronze Color
11E = May 11, 1966 Production Date
Trans = 6 (C-4 Automatic)
Axle = 6 (2.80:1 ratio)

In all likelihood, most of the bits are not original. It's just too old. If you can post some pictures of the car, we can probably help in determining just how original the car is. By the way, welcome to the madness! ::

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
1966 mustang hardtop(coupe), built in the san jose plant, c code 289 2v engine, and the 98,126th mustang built that year. 65A = hardtop with standard interior and bucket seats
P = antique bronze paint
11E = May 11 build date.
Im guessing that the trans is 6 and the rear axle is 6 which would make it a C-4 automatic 3 speed trans and a 2.80:1 conventional rear end
As far as options for the car are concerned you may never know for sure. FOrd has since lost or gotten rid of all records on their cars prior to 1967 for one reason or another. Unless you have the original window sticker you may never know. Hope this helps.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the great info thus far...

I can get some digi images sorted out tomorrow... so , you had better tell me how you actually put them in a post :: ::

BTW... i have my own toy, a fully restored '64 Le Sabre, so i am happy to help my bud out ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts