Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
65 GT350H fastback clone 351w
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put a Tremec TKX in a 65 mustang that has Dakota VFD3 Digital Gauges? I'm running into an issue, Summit Racing recommended the Dakota SEN-01-T56 connector and cable to hook up to the Dakota gauges. The wires coming from the SEN-01-T56 are green and purple, and the wires my mechanic hooked up are one black and one red. I assume he had to splice the wire due to the SEN-01-T56 cables being too short. I've followed the two wire instructions that came with the Dakota gauges and reversed them in case my mechanic had them reversed, but I can't get the Auto CAL to work. Has anyone hooked up a TKX to Dakota Digital gauges? What am I missing?

Thanks!

Adam

· Registered
6,222 Posts
You could try reversing the leads on the green and purple to see if that works. Does the TKX have two speed sensor outputs? I know the T-56 has two, one for a cable and the other is a reluctor wheel. make sure you are hooked up to the correct speedo sensor.

· Registered
900 Posts
Has anyone put a Tremec TKX in a 65 mustang that has Dakota VFD3 Digital Gauges? I'm running into an issue, Summit Racing recommended the Dakota SEN-01-T56 connector and cable to hook up to the Dakota gauges. The wires coming from the SEN-01-T56 are green and purple, and the wires my mechanic hooked up are one black and one red. I assume he had to splice the wire due to the SEN-01-T56 cables being too short. I've followed the two wire instructions that came with the Dakota gauges and reversed them in case my mechanic had them reversed, but I can't get the Auto CAL to work. Has anyone hooked up a TKX to Dakota Digital gauges? What am I missing?

Thanks!

Adam
Are you splitting the signal for a reverse lockout or anything else? I ran into issues with an intermittent signal because mine is split and the 2 wire speed sensors send a weak signal anyway. I have since bought a speed sensor for the cable side for a 95 mustang so I could have 1 going to the lockout and the other going to the speedometer. Haven’t installed it yet. Mine is a New Vintage USA gauge kit though.

· I won a special award
9,648 Posts
You could try reversing the leads on the green and purple to see if that works. Does the TKX have two speed sensor outputs? I know the T-56 has two, one for a cable and the other is a reluctor wheel. make sure you are hooked up to the correct speedo sensor.
TKX has provision for both cable speedometer and electronic speedometer. Electronic speedometer is via a plug (with orange cap) on the right side of the transmission as seen in the picture. The mechanical speedometer connection is on the left side of the transmission.

Composite material Gas Automotive wheel system Engineering Space

· Registered
3,010 Posts
Are you splitting the signal for a reverse lockout or anything else? I ran into issues with an intermittent signal because mine is split and the 2 wire speed sensors send a weak signal anyway. I have since bought a speed sensor for the cable side for a 95 mustang so I could have 1 going to the lockout and the other going to the speedometer. Haven’t installed it yet. Mine is a New Vintage USA gauge kit though.
I have (soon "had") the same problem with my New Vintage speedometer connected to a TKO600. My speedometer reads anywhere from 10% higher than the Garmin (which I can adjust, but it's a pita) to telling me I'm doing 120 in a 40 zone (which, of course, I am not).
For that reason, and others, I'm reverting to the original mechanical speedo and tach.

· Registered
900 Posts
I have (soon "had") the same problem with my New Vintage speedometer connected to a TKO600. My speedometer reads anywhere from 10% higher than the Garmin (which I can adjust, but it's a pita) to telling me I'm doing 120 in a 40 zone (which, of course, I am not).
For that reason, and others, I'm reverting to the original mechanical speedo and tach.
I’m pretty unimpressed with new vintage USA. My next thing to try if this doesn’t work will be a 3 wire speed sensor. It has a 12v input so the signal is much stronger. If that doesn’t work then Dakota digital will be next.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TKX has provision for both cable speedometer and electronic speedometer. Electronic speedometer is via a plug (with orange cap) on the right side of the transmission as seen in the picture. The mechanical speedometer connection is on the left side of the transmission.

View attachment 878095
I've got the dakota sen-01-t56 electronic sensor hooked up where the orange cap is in this photo. I also have a sensor cable that I can't identify that isn't in the manual and looks to have just one blue hole for something. It's a b*tch to get to with long tubes but here's a picture of it. Does anyone know what this is for? I can't get the speedo to calibrate and i'm wondering if this mystery connection could have something to do with it.

PS I know my highlighting skills are not good and the mystery cable now looks like male reproductive parts.

Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior

· I won a special award
9,648 Posts
That's the neutral safety switch pigtail. If you wire it into your car's starting circuit, the car will only start in neutral. If you don't use it, the car can be started in gear. I don't know about the earlier cars, but 1970 Mustangs like my car had a plug in the wiring harness for the backup lights and neutral safety switch. I made an adapter harness to plug the TKX neutral safety switch harness into my car's factory wire harness' neutral safety switch plug. You can choose not to use it and tie it up if you want to.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Gas Engineering

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the neutral safety switch pigtail. If you wire it into your car's starting circuit, the car will only start in neutral. If you don't use it, the car can be started in gear. I don't know about the earlier cars, but 1970 Mustangs like my car had a plug in the wiring harness for the backup lights and neutral safety switch. I made an adapter harness to plug the TKX neutral safety switch harness into my car's factory wire harness' neutral safety switch plug. You can choose not to use it and tie it up if you want to.

View attachment 878918
Thanks for that info! I don't know why tremec left it off the diagrams in the tkx manual. Do you have stock gauges or aftermarket ones?

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey John,

The tkx does have the mechanical and the electronic outputs. I'm sure I'm in the correct one.

Thanks!

Adam

· I won a special award
9,648 Posts
Thanks for that info! I don't know why tremec left it off the diagrams in the tkx manual. Do you have stock gauges or aftermarket ones?
YW. I have Autometer gauges. My speedometer is electronic. It works without issue with the TKX. I just had to set up the calibration. That's easy to do with the Autometer electronic speedometers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts