Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I was doing some wiring yesterday because I’m doing a 5.0 EFI swap into my 1965 Mustang. When I came to wiring up the new gauge cluster, I had to run a wire from the cluster straight to the left turn signal. The wire ran from the gauge cluster through a grommet in the firewall, down the left side wall (in the engine bay), and dropped it all the way down to the left turn signal light.
There was 3 different wires going into the left front turn signal. There was a black, yellow, and a dark green color that all ran into the back of the turn signal light. I cut the yellow wire and connected my wire (straight from the gauge cluster) thinking it was going to work. Now when I signal a left turn signal I don’t get the blinking anymore. Running lights work fine it’s just the turn signal that doesn’t work. Could it possibly be the dark greenish wire I need to go into?

please let me know, thank you!

·
Registered
37,652 Posts
The wire to the left front turn signal filament is GREEN with a WHITE tracer. The BLACK wire with a YELLOW tracer is for the parking lamps. The BLACK wire is ground.

33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wire to the left front turn signal filament is GREEN with a WHITE tracer. The BLACK wire with a YELLOW tracer is for the parking lamps. The BLACK wire is ground.
Thank you for the reply! When you are mentioning these colors, do they apply to the wires directly behind the front turn signal?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thank you for the reply! When you are mentioning these colors, do they apply to the wires directly behind the front turn signal?
Yes they are the colors directly behind the front turn signal but the colors you mention sound like you have aftermarket wiring is this true? Also if the turn signals have been changed the colors might not be original colors

·
Registered
37,652 Posts
Um... you said you replaced the gauge cluster... did you switch from a "Falcon cluster" and how did you do the "single turn indicator" to "dual turn indicators"?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Um... you said you replaced the gauge cluster... did you switch from a "Falcon cluster" and how did you do the "single turn indicator" to "dual turn indicators"?
Hopefully he cut the single indicator bulb off using the white/blue and green/white wires to a single socket for each and if the back of his cluster isnt metal add a ground to each socket

33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone for the replies! I did manage to get the left front blinker to work!!! However I have a 65-66 Intellitronix LED gauge cluster and although the blinker is working, the little green light indicator for the new gauge cluster doesn’t work. Do I need to ground something or what?
thank you to all that have responded!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
The cluster indicator is going to depend on what dash cluster you took out.

Did your original cluster look about the same shape as the new Intellitronix cluster, or did it look completely different with a long horizontal speedometer? The cluster with the long Falcon style speedometer is wired different for the blinkers so that's why people are asking.

·
Registered
148 Posts
doe it work for either side or one side and not another? I am going to assume you cut the two wire plug for the single indicator light correct? If thats what you have done each bulb needs to be grounded.I would think Intellitronix would account for this but if they didnt those two bulbs need grounded this might be what you need indicator bulb but be for buying them I would be calling Intellitronix

33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
doe it work for either side or one side and not another? I am going to assume you cut the two wire plug for the single indicator light correct? If thats what you have done each bulb needs to be grounded.I would think Intellitronix would account for this but if they didnt those two bulbs need grounded this might be what you need indicator bulb but be for buying them I would be calling Intellitronix
So it only works for the right side turn signal indicator on the dash, however the left turn signal light indicator does not flash

33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The cluster indicator is going to depend on what dash cluster you took out.

Did your original cluster look about the same shape as the new Intellitronix cluster, or did it look completely different with a long horizontal speedometer? The cluster with the long Falcon style speedometer is wired different for the blinkers so that's why people are asking.
I took out the Falcon style gauge cluster and put in the 5 gauge Intellirtonix LED Gauge Cluster because of the engine swap I’m doing.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I'm not a 65 Falcon dash expert, but I think your problem is due to the funky way Ford wired up the dash indicator on the early 65 dash.

The Falcon style dash only has one turn signal indicator light that flashes for both the left or the right side. It just lets you know the blinkers are on, not which one is on like all the newer cars. To do this, they wired up the one light bulb so that instead of being one power wire and one ground, they have two power wires. Whichever one is hot lights up the bulb and then it grounds through the other wire out to the front blinkers. It's weird, but it apparently works as long as you're using the original wiring and the original style incandescent bulb.

You can see how the two leads (W/B, G/W) go to one bulb on the early dash and to two different bulbs on the later model:

And you can see the difference on the schematics (wires 49 and 50):

So the question is, what to do about it? The answer there I think is going to depend entirely on how you wired it up. As people mentioned above, what did you do with the White-Blue and Green-White wires that were originally going to the central turn signal bulb? Since the Intellitronix seems to have two blinkers you're going to have to separate them somehow and provide separate grounds for each one.

So how did you wire up the blinkers on the new dash?

We always like pics you know. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Magnus thats very good information on how the falcon style indicator works. while i am not entirely positive it seems that Intellitronix has those bulbs grounded in some fashion since it works for the right but not the left.the problem should be either in the ground on the right side turn signal ,which I dont believe it is, or the ground for the entire intellitronix unit, which again i dont believe its that either,there could be a problem with the white/blue wire coming from the turn signal switch connector.

Colin if you switch the Green/White and the White/Blue wires Does it change anything..... there is also the possibility that you have a bad bulb in the left side indicator

1 - 16 of 16 Posts