Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '65 Coupe. When the car is first started up the oil pressure is Normal. Whenever the car gets to normal operating temp, the oil pressure gauge reads low. When I come to a complete stop after driving and leave in gear, the oil pressure gauge read very low. When I accelerate, the pressure will rise but not as much as when it was first started up. Is this normal? What could be the problem if not?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
What you descibe is not atypical. You could put in a new sending unit to see if the gauge reads differently. Best approach to put your mind at ease or confirm there is a problem, is to connect up a direct reading oil pres gauge to determine what the real pressures are when cold/hot.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen to me. I thought I had a leak or my engine was badly burning oil. Luckily, it was neither. I went out and bought a new sending unit, but before I took out the old one, I cleaned up the wire connecting to it, and I checked it for any burns. That was all I needed to do. My oil gauge reads properly now, and I have jiggled the wire and noticed that it will read low pressure if not in the right spot.

Jorge
p.s. This is on my 66, but it might be the same on a 65 ... not sure

·
Registered
712 Posts
I had similar problems and replaced the oil presure switch and wire harness and that seems to have cured it.

However, I do have an intermitent issue with the oil presure gauge that is odd.

Sometimes when I come to a stop and the car is idling in gear the idle becomes very rough and the oil presure drops below the normal range.

When the car is run some more and then stopped again the presure is good.

As I mentioned the rough idle/low oil presure is intermitent and may not even happen at all on some crusies.

I was going to make a post and see if anyone had any thoughts on this.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
i recently had a battle with mine.. i hooked up a mechanical gauge to be SURE of what my readings were... turned out i still had little or no oil pressure at a stop. put in a melling HV, and everything seems to be cured now. i get 40 or more lbs all the time .but, i dont even want to get into how much of a pain it was to change that oil pump..*G*

1 - 5 of 5 Posts