Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings-

My passenger side wiper hits the chrome piece at the bottom of the window when in use and makes a noise. Does anyone know how I can adjust the passenger side wiper arm up a little when its in its lowest position? Driver's side one is up enough where it doesnt hit.

Thank you !

MD

·
Registered
947 Posts
You'll need to lift and remove the wiper arm and reposition it a couple of notches up away from the trim. The wiper stud that the arm slides onto is splines, so it can be moved up a couple of notches.

To lift the arm off the stud, I use a flat blade medium screwdriver with a rag wrapped around the tip, under the bottom edge against the metal cowl and pry gently while lifting the arm up and off of the splined shaft.

Go slow and you'll see the splines and then reposition it a couple of splines up away from the base of the windshield and press the arm in place with the palm of your hand

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,755 Posts
Learning how to pry the wiper arm off of the splined shaft without messing up the paint will drive you crazy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'll need to lift and remove the wiper arm and reposition it a couple of notches up away from the trim. The wiper stud that the arm slides onto is splines, so it can be moved up a couple of notches.

To lift the arm off the stud, I use a flat blade medium screwdriver with a rag wrapped around the tip, under the bottom edge against the metal cowl and pry gently while lifting the arm up and off of the splined shaft.

Go slow and you'll see the splines and then reposition it a couple of splines up away from the base of the windshield and press the arm in place with the palm of your hand

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thank you for the info and the quick response to the post. I was able to lift the arm off the spindle but did it via the gap between the arm and not the bottom edge against the cowl using the plastic pry tools and a wrench. That seemed to work better for me and kept me away from the paint. Below are some pictures of what I did to accomplish this. May still do some adjusting to get them lower but not too low. I appreciate the time answering my question and love this site for help!

·
Registered
35,443 Posts
Learning how to pry the wiper arm off of the splined shaft without messing up the paint will drive you crazy.
Get this tool. Hook it onto the top of the wiper arm. Grab the tool and arm like the handles of a pliers, and the arm will lift off like magic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts