Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys i have an issue with my 65 power steering. ive replaced the power steering pump cause the original went out i got everything installed and the pulley put back on but it seems the pulley is slipping around the pump shaft, it only slips when im using the steering. when i start the car is does just a small amount and when there is a pull on the motor. it makes a loud squeal. the pulley is off the original pump the pump. any ideas?
thanks
Matt

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
The pulley is pressed on. Unless it falls off the pump, I don't see how it can be slipping. If the belt is old or loose, it'll squeal. If by "using" you mean when you turn it all the way to the stops, don't do that, it'll use all 800 psi to try to mash the stops.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Are you sure the pulley is slipping on the pump shaft? It's normally a very tight press fit.
This is really odd!

Slim

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep i used my matco puller to get it on and off, i can watch the belt stop the pulley, unless the whole pump is slipping pulley and shaft. but i can see it stop the pulley or pump when i had a buddy get in the car and just move the wheel a small amount.
Matt

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Which pump do you have, Ford or Eaton?

The Eaton pump uses a key on the shaft
to keep the pulley locked in position, if the key
is missing then what you describe can happen.
Is there a bolt that holds on the pulley?
If so it's a Eaton pump.

The Ford pump uses a very tight fit to hold
the pulley on the shaft so it can't slip at all.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its a ford pump no key and bolt. i may have to mark the shaft and see if the whole shaft is freezing in the pump. but i can clearly see the pulley stop for a few seconds. does anyone know if there is a size differance b/t the shafts on different yr model pumps? like say if i got a 70 vs a 65 something like that.
thanks
Matt

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Easy Diagnosis

Think about what you are saying... "I can cleary see the pulley stop for a few seconds." IF THE PULLEY IS STOPPING, the shaft can't continue turnng. What would be turning the shaft? Plasma Energy?

If the pulley is stopping, you can bet the shaft is stopping at the same time.

Take off the belt and turn the pulley by hand. If it's binding or locking up, then the cam-pack is made up of wrong parts. If it's smooth and feels normal, your belt is too loose.

If it was not rebuilt correctly, the cams may be backward.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Yep i used my matco puller to get it on and off, i can watch the belt stop the pulley, unless the whole pump is slipping pulley and shaft. but i can see it stop the pulley or pump when i had a buddy get in the car and just move the wheel a small amount.
Matt
If the pulley stops, the pump is locking up--

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Duh that makes perfect sense. lol dunno what i was thinking. the shaft cant spin if the pulley doesn't spin it. lol i feel stupid for not thinking about that.. ok ill check to see if it spins freely
thanks
matt

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Put a small dab of paint on the end of the pulley shaft and repeat your experiment. That way you can verify if it is stopping with the pulley or continuing to spin inside it.

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
If the shaft were slipping, the pulley would turn, and the shaft wouldn't.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys whats the difference b/t the ford pump and the Thompson pumps? the one i replaced was Thompson type pump with a/c. i replaced it with a same looking pump. that's supposed to be for a 65 mustang. now im wondering if my pump was even bad they do the same squealing just not as much on the replacement.
Matt

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Hey guys whats the difference b/t the ford pump and the Thompson pumps? the one i replaced was Thompson type pump with a/c. i replaced it with a same looking pump. that's supposed to be for a 65 mustang. now im wondering if my pump was even bad they do the same squealing just not as much on the replacement.
Matt
They are same pump in general respect.

TRW was a manufactuer, Ford need a PS Pump for the 65 Model year, and beyond.

So to contract a Constant supplier, Ford contracted with TRW, with a name of Thompson as the Pump name (Had Ford Numbering, Logo, etc) the T in TRW is, yes guess it Thompson.

If you view the pumps, the TRW's will be Black, not have the Ford Part numbers cast into the front cast housing. Ford will have Numbers.

The Thompson will have the UGLY Blue paint, Horrible runs, but unique to the Ford Production Thompson pumps.

The Cans, Will take another novel here--Finger is Tired now.

Hope this helped a bit.

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK. i think im going to order a new pump and pulley and send this pump back. come to think of it i had to buy a new belt cause the old one didnt fit for some odd reason that should have been a big red flag. i think i may have the wrong pump for that car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts