Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone modified the early Mustang to right hand drive for UK? The dashboard looks ok and the clutch and brake pedal assembly should move across the big change would be the steering. Anyone manage and what difficulties?
LH Drive in narrow UK roads can be a bit hairy with tall hedges.

Michael

·
Registered
562 Posts
There were factory produced RH steer cars back in the day certainly for the UK and Australian markets. I would think you might save a bit of agony if you found one at the scrappers so you could get the proper bits for not only steering but also I believe there was a different firewall (sorry bulkhead).
Best of luck.

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
Try searching the Aussie forums. I believe you guys don't have to convert to RH but in Australia they do. I did see on one guys web page who converted his Mustang to RH drive. one area where he mentioned many people who do conversions down there cheap out on is the wiper assembly. I never thought about it but apparently to be done correctly even that needs to be modified. Good luck.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Any LHD car over 30 years old no longer has to be converted here in Australia. One of mine is a RHD conversion and it is not as easy as you may think. It looks easy with the " mirror" appearance of the dash but underneath it is quite difficult. The Aust. factory conversions back in '66 were a nightmare for the factory especially in regard to the windscreen wipers & bracing. If left as original you lose the glovebox as in mine, but I now have my MSD , fuse panel etc in there & it is a competition car so glovebox isn't required. The simplest fix here was to use the firewall out of a local RHD Falcon of similar age but that would be difficult in the UK. Falcon steering column and pedal assembly is a good fit but access once again is your problem. Hope this isn't too sombre but it isn't an easy conversion

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
Dynacorn now offers RHD dash and firewall for 67-68 Mustangs. Dunno about dash trim, etc.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I was looking at this recently as well. The Dynacorn panels help--there is even a dash panel for the 67-68's. Not sure if there is a dash for the 65-66's. If you are willing to do a rack and pinion swap, I understand a RHD R&P exists.

I hadn't thought of the windshield wiper motor and wipe pattern, but even the shifter in an automatic is a minor problem. The button to release from Park is on the left side of the T handle--where your thumb would be on LHD. With RHD, it becomes a two handed or awkward at best operation. Also, the e-brake handle and cable needs to move. That is doable, but more work. The accelerator pedal & linkage on a '65-6 also needs complete re-engineering. Not sure if there is a heater case you can buy/adapt, but it becomes a problem to solve as well.

To REALLY be done right, there are a lot of problems to solve.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've seen a 65 converted to RHD down here in NZ at at the a*s of the world, the car was done in Australia. it didn't look right as the dash bezels are not symetrical on each end so it didn't sit quite right in the " dips" in the dash where the factory glove box door had been....anyway I'd rather have it left hook how Henry would have mean't it to be .

GB

·
Registered
388 Posts
There were factory produced RH steer cars back in the day certainly for the UK and Australian markets. I would think you might save a bit of agony if you found one at the scrappers so you could get the proper bits for not only steering but also I believe there was a different firewall (sorry bulkhead).
Best of luck.
I don't believe there were any factory produced RH mustang,

There is a lot of people who have made the conventions as it used to be mandatory from what I understand in Australia

Im sure there might be a few places in the UK that can tackle the job but the UK never had mandatory conversation requirements to register the car to be driven, so your best bet is to get knowledge form the Aussies

a quick search and i got these websites they might be useful

Just Mustangs

The Blue Oval Garage

Right Hand Drive Conversion Kits for American vehicles

btw I dont think it will be a cheap convention (price wise)

·
Registered
3 Posts
RHD fabrication just finished

We just finished the fabrication on a 1966 Mustang to not only convert it to RHD.... but also swapped in a Coyote engine and Tremec TKO. Just ask me for more info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts