Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife and I went to a car museum over the weekend and I saw this car. Never knew it existed really wish they would have had the hood open. I'm taking my dad there next month and if it isn't open going to ask if they would do that.
20210619_114716.jpg 20210619_114721.jpg 20210619_114709.jpg
The car is a 65 2+2 fastback. Some of you might know about it but guessing most do so wanted to share it so if your in the area could be a nice stop.

Found this site taking about the car also.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Cool find @Warhawk ! Pretty crazy that it cranked out 185 hp. Such a small powerplant.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad you guys like to hear about the car it is a very cool find.

Cool find @Warhawk ! Pretty crazy that it cranked out 185 hp. Such a small powerplant.
I know I saw that and I was thinking 185 was a lot for a small engine but glad they used the 289 that little extra I think made a difference. I was thinking how much different would the "pony/muscle" car era been if they didn't put the 289 v8 in the mustang? Might have delayed everything a few years,

So glad the prototype was not destroyed. Too many cool prototypes are crushed when the manufacturer decides against production.
I agree I'm surprised it made it someone must have realized it was important and held on to it.

While I was there I looked at a GTO just a few cars away and it looked very nice but the car was much larger. It was 335 HP and 3,500 pounds so lot more HP than the mustangs but also lot more weight so guessing it didn't handle as well. I'm sure people know the numbers but I would guess that extra 1,000 pounds would be at least 1 sec in a 0-60 time.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I recall seeing this FB at an MCA National show in Mustang ( OKC ) Oklahoma in either `94 or `97. It had auxiliary gauges mounted on a flat metal panel between the dash & driveshaft tunnel. Was crazy to see a rotary engine in an early Mustang.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
You would think for something bizarre like that the hood would be open for the display.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
While I understand why Ford didn't pursue a rotary engine, that is pretty awesome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts