Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need the molding for the front & back windshield. The replacement moldings fitment are my concern. What supplier does everyone recommend. C J pony has a sale going and has anyone used them? Thanks

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
I have used the repro mouldings successfully, but you have to be careful with them, they can easily ding when you press them on. I use a nylon "bone" weatherstrip tool to spread the force over a wider area. Tape around glass first with arrows pointing toward the clips, so you know where to push, and where not to.

And make sure you use enough Glass Bedding Compound, or it'll leak.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Yes they are pretty soft and easy to ding, I got mine from NPD The base of my hand was all that was needed to pop those in place but it was hard on the hands. I got all but 2 of the clips done and had to have a friend with stronger hands finish off the last 2.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I need the molding for the front & back windshield. The replacement moldings figment are my concern. What supplier does everyone recommend. C J pony has a sale going and has anyone used them? Thanks

Not a comment on the molding question. Just wondering did you know the colors on the pony in your AVATAR are backwards. Should be red, white, blue. Maybe you know this and seeing how many notice. I was sensitive to this because a couple weeks ago it was posted and discussed that some repro ponys have the colors backwards.

Slim

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
A subtle message from China that democracy is evil :)

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
A subtle message from China that democracy is evil :)

Also an indication that a supplier using outsourced parts sould maybe check at least obviouse things!

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
I remember talking with Charles Turner a couple of years ago and he pointed out that same thing with a car show logo on my t-shirt. I'd sure hate to be the one that ordered all those shirts (even though I didn't see it. LOL)
Stan

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
Not a comment on the molding question. Just wondering did you know the colors on the pony in your AVATAR are backwards.
It's also running the wrong way. :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I was aware of the color not being correct. I've been meaning to change it ,but just haven't had a chance until now. I can't seem to get my pics to show up in my signature though. I must be doing something wrong. Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
"And I still don't know what supplier carries the highest quality molding? Lol"

If you're concerned about fit and quality, have you checked into picking up a good used set thru the wanted section here, ebay or craigslist and having a good metal polishing shop clean them up for you? Don't know if it would be cheaper, but definately better. Just another option to consider.

Greg

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
There are some repro parts that leave a lot to be desired...most trim I've seen is on that list. I would for sure find a good used set. If anything, there are plenty of places that restore/polish stainless trim. When done, it'll look great, fit great and won't dent from just looking at it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts