Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

Iam trying to remove my windshield wiper arms. I have tried pulling them, i tried pushing the little tab underneath the arm. The darn things won't come off. I don't want to brake them, any pointers you guys might have? I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
They slide straight off. The spring in the arm tries to angle them slightly, which is what keeps them on. You better lay an old towel in the cowl to prevent scratching the paint. I did these for many years with a flat screwdriver, using my hand as the fulcrum to prevent damage to the trim and paint, with the tip under the arm opposite the blade. There is also a special tool for removing these, if you'll be doing it often. Well worth the $8 price.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I think the OP was talking about the ARMS, not just the blades......these just pull straight up, yes, by all means put an old towel around the base so you won't scratch the cowl. might need some gentle pursuading with a screwdriver though.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Very simple, take the arm at the base push down with thumb at the pivot point of arm, you will notice the base rock a little, this is when that spring under gives. When the base moves take your other hand either pull up or I place the side of my pointing finger under the edge opposite the arm and pry up. Just my .02 but I would be very careful prying without first making that base pivot first.
May require a little extra force since it hasn't been removed for a while. While you're pushing down and pulling may have to rock it a little.

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
Or you could just get that tool. It hooks under the end of the pivot, and you clamp the handle against arm with your hand, and the arm just lifts off.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Never used the tool but sense i'm getting older and loosing grip in my hands may have to invest in one.

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
Never used the tool but sense i'm getting older and loosing grip in my hands may have to invest in one.
I use a piece of tape on the tool to protect the chrome.

First time I used one, it was a case of "shoulda got one a these a long time ago".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts