Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

First of all, I KNOW THAT FORD DID NOT OFFER A FACTORY OR DEALER INSTALLED SUNROOF ON A 1965 MUSTANG. However, I have pictures of a Mustang that the original owner purchased from a FORD dealer in 1965 in the San Francisco Bay Area for his daughter to go to college. The owner said he bought the Mustang from the dealer with the accordion style fabric sunroof already installed. It ended up back with Dad when the daughter finished college. It sat under a tarp in the side yard for many years and the fabric is gone. Would anyone have any information as to what company may have performed the original installation? Someone suggested it may have been American Sunroof Company, based at the time, in San Francisco. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
"Someone suggested it may have been American Sunroof Company, based at the time, in San Francisco. Any help is appreciated."

That sounds about right..

Here's some vintage info...Check out the Vintage "Mustang" Sunroof Ad on the right side...!

ASC, American Sunroof Corporation, ASC Custom Craft, Heinz C. Prechter, ASC Holdings, American Specialty Cars, ASC/McLaren - Coachbult.com

...and look.....They are STILL in business today in some incarnation...but now in San Diego the last 40 years...

https://www.americansunroof.com/

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I saw one in the mid '80's at a car show in Topeka KS. I recall the HT being white & the older gentleman explaining how it was installed when new, not at factory though. I don't recall if it was the dealership. Dean

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks similar to the Webasto roofs that European cars had.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you.

I had looked up American Sunroof Company and found the business in So Cal, but wasn't sure whether it may have been the same business that moved south. Even though it needs a full restoration, the mechanism was well made. Like Dez mentioned, it does look the style of sunroof framework that came on the sunroof Beetles.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
If you read the article referenced in Tony K's post, I think you may find your answer. My money would be on "Golde".

It is also possible that the actual canvas was carried over from one of the car lines mentioned in the write-up. Restoration sources for those cars may be a great place to start your search. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Dimples
3,638 Posts
While I would shy away from buying a coupe with a sunroof (no offense, 2nd) if I came to own one by inheritance or something, I would embrace it and restore it that way. Especially if it was a cool old one like that.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Actually cars are still offered with "California Roofs" Have a 08 Liberty in the back with one, but I am with the OP on this one...if you are unfortunate enough to have one...best to restore the one you have.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Saw a clapped out 65 or 66 fastback 6 cylinder with a similar roof in the 80's. It seemed strange at the time but I figured it might have been some rare factory option.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Any good Trim shop should be able to make that roof, as long as they have the correct material and some good pics to go by..

:eek:)

Tony K.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts