Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have been following, this last year, I found a pair of ceramic coated Hedman headers that I stored years ago after buying them online from someone who ended up not using them. They were never run, and came with all the attaching hardware. The headers that were on my car were there for at least 40 years, and other than rubbing a small hole with a worn clutch linkage assembly, never had an issue with them. With this latest engine rebuild, I checked the exhaust coming off the header collector, and the pipes were only 2", which definitely wasn't going to work too well with a the warmed up 331 I was installing. So with the new headers and a plan, I went to work.

The headers I found were Headman 88306 ceramic coated headers. Here they are mocked up to my 331 when I had it out of the car...again:

Gas Nut Nickel Machine Electric blue

They nice thing about these is the big opening for the z-bar to fit from the frame rail to the block. As you can see, they are quite dusty after having been stored for a few years, and then forgotten.

I then needed to replace the exhaust from the headers all the way back to the rear valance. I did some reading, checking, researching, etc., and thought I would give the Summit Racing SUM-680112 exhaust kit a chance. I had one 10% off code left over from Hot August Nights that I would use for myself. I ordered them, but for some reason Summit wouldn't accept the 10% off code that I had. I got ahold of the chat person online, explained my issue, gave him/her my code, and it worked. So I got the discount, but they wouldn't be delivered until November (this was the end of August). I was in no rush, so I'll wait.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Towards the end of October, I get an email from Summit that the exhaust was being shipped. The nice thing was I wasn't charged until it was shipped, and for the price I paid in August. I come home from work, and there's a nice big box waiting in front of our gate:

Grey Font Wood Gas Monochrome

Opened up the box, and pulled out all the exhaust pipe and mufflers. There was also a smaller box containing all the hardware and the instructions. Laid it all out to make sure everything was there. The kit comes with 2 attachments for the tail end of the pipe...two ends to go through the GT style valance with the exhaust coming through, or two turndowns to dump the exhaust right before the standard valance. I have the GT style valance with the trumpets, so this will work for me.

Musical instrument Wood Musical instrument accessory Wood stain Hardwood

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine's back in the car, and I installed the headers. My old Cyclone headers would fit no problem, even with the z-bar in place because they didn't have a solid flange where they attached to the heads. But the Hedmans have the solid flange, and they absolutely would not fit either side without lifting the engine. I lifted one side at a time and got the headers installed and bolted in.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Car

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Bumper

They do hang a bit lower than the Cyclones I took off of there, but they look high enough not to become a major problem unless I drive into a ditch. You can see they are definitely longer than the Cyclones with the old exhaust pipe still in place.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Trunk

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
When I trial fitted the Summit pipe to the collector on the headers, the belled open part of the pipe was too small for the header collector. I broke out my trusty exhaust pipe cutter, and made sure to measure more than twice before my one cut. I cut both pipes and then had my daughter take them to a local shop in town to expand the opening to allow the two fittings from the Hedman hardware collection to fit inside. I then had one of my neighbors tack weld them in place to keep everything from rotating.

Gas Wood Electric blue Cylinder Pipe

Here is the exhaust laid out on both sides of the car:

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I then proceeded to install the exhaust pipes and mufflers.

Here's a view of the headers:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

The first set of exhaust pipes being installed. In case you're wondering, that's an Explorer driveshaft going into a Toploader.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Bumper

The second set of pipes, which go into the mufflers, being put in place:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive lighting Muffler

And then the mufflers going on. I quit taking pictures at this point because I finally got to bleed on this project. My motto is: "It isn't finished until you bleed on it". When I was trying to hang the mufflers, I couldn't get the hanger on the driver side one to rotate into the position I wanted it to go. I positioned myself under the car to more inline with the rear of the muffler and then the hanger decided it was time to rotate freely, swung down and popped me right on the forehead between the eyes. F**k! That hurt! I didn't really think any more about it until I could feel a good amount of liquid running the right side of my forehead and above my eyebrow. I knew what that was and swiped at it with my hand...yup, that's a bit of blood there. And then I could feel more, and then a bit more. So being the guy that I am, I dabbed at the wounded area with a blue paper shop towel and went back to work.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have the exhaust tips that I want yet, but wanted to hear how this would sound. I got the exhaust pipe around the rear axle housing and back to the valance. I used the turndowns for now, but once I get the tips I really want, the turndowns will come off and I'll run the exhaust out the valance. Here's a video of how it looks and sounds now. When I get to the point where I'm going to put the new exhaust tips on and hang the mufflers just the way I want, I'll take it to the Auto Craft Shop on Fort Huachuca and put it on one of their lifts to really go at it.

65 Mustang with Summit Exhaust Kit - YouTube

Had no problems routing the exhaust on this car. It's definitely louder than I'm used to, but it could be because I now have hearing aids! :p:D Folks would tell me my exhaust was loud before, but I didn't notice. The joys of aging...

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
5,292 Posts
Looking and sounding good. Can’t wait to hear how well it runs.

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
Awesome!

·
Registered
562 Posts
For those of you who have been following, this last year, I found a pair of ceramic coated Hedman headers that I stored years ago after buying them online from someone who ended up not using them. They were never run, and came with all the attaching hardware. The headers that were on my car were there for at least 40 years, and other than rubbing a small hole with a worn clutch linkage assembly, never had an issue with them. With this latest engine rebuild, I checked the exhaust coming off the header collector, and the pipes were only 2", which definitely wasn't going to work too well with a the warmed up 331 I was installing. So with the new headers and a plan, I went to work.

The headers I found were Headman 88306 ceramic coated headers. Here they are mocked up to my 331 when I had it out of the car...again:

View attachment 824442

They nice thing about these is the big opening for the z-bar to fit from the frame rail to the block. As you can see, they are quite dusty after having been stored for a few years, and then forgotten.

I then needed to replace the exhaust from the headers all the way back to the rear valance. I did some reading, checking, researching, etc., and thought I would give the Summit Racing SUM-680112 exhaust kit a chance. I had one 10% off code left over from Hot August Nights that I would use for myself. I ordered them, but for some reason Summit wouldn't accept the 10% off code that I had. I got ahold of the chat person online, explained my issue, gave him/her my code, and it worked. So I got the discount, but they wouldn't be delivered until November (this was the end of August). I was in no rush, so I'll wait.
Nice! BTW, I installed a pair of 1 5/8" long tube Cyclone/Black Jack headers on my warmed over 289, way back in 1983. Think they cost me $69.00.
They are still on the same car/engine 2day.
Rusty and ugly, but still functioning. 🙂

·
Registered
746 Posts
Looks and sounds great. I predict some testing of the loud pedal when the tires hit the pavement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts