Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m having trouble starting my 289. Whenever you turn it over to start it starts but when you release the key to the on position, it turns off. I’m not getting 12v to the coil when the key is in the on position, but some people have said that it’s either bad wiring, which I checked my wiring and it’s fine, or it’s a bad ignition switch(I also have a brand new one from CJ pony parts), or a bad resistor wire, and it being stock wiring harness, I’m guessing it’s that.i have a external resistor coil though. So could I just eliminate/bypass that resistor wire? Could I just jump a wire from the coil to the switch? Or would that **** something up? Needing an external resistor of some kind. Please send help, I just want my car to run

·
Registered
141 Posts
Your wiring isn't correct. You just need to get a wiring diagram and get in there to see what is going on. About the resistor wire-Yes-you could do that. Just buy an external ballast resistor. I did that, and have that wired in bypassing the pink resistor wire. It shouldn't cause the car not to run though. It would just fry the ignition eventually if you had 12 volts to the coil at all times. It should be 6 or so.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a wiring diagram and have been following it this whole time, and it’s a 12 system. What’s an external ballast resistor? Could I just run a straight wire from the coil to the switch? Just for testing purposes to see if my engine runs for a few mins. Then I can get whole new wiring, n it’ll all be new n that’ll make it easier

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I’ve had it about a year, I’m converting it to a manual, I did the bodywork first, now I’m getting it running

·
Registered
141 Posts
You just need to have the ignition getting a constant voltage when the key is on. Right now it sounds like it is hooked up to the "start" mode on the back of the ignition switch or starter solenoid. When you turn the key to "start" it breaks that electrical contact and the engine kills.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you release the key from start, it kills. Like when ur turning it over n it starts so you release the key, but when you release the key, it kills.

·
Premium Member
13,170 Posts
You can run a jumper wire directly from the battery to the coil and run the engine for a couple of minutes just to confirm that it will run.

·
Registered
848 Posts
There is a red wire with green stripe coming off the ignition switch with a bullet connector. The pink resistor wire plugs into this connector and goes out through the firewall where it becomes red-green again to the coil. Pull the bullet connection apart and check the voltage on the red-green wire with the key on. No voltage = bad switch, 12v = bad wiring or loose/bad firewall connection.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You just need to check your wiring and trace it or run new ones from that back of your ignition switch and at the starter solenoid. The issue is-in "on" mode with the key you have power to everything but the starter motor. Then with the key turned all the way you have "start" mode and everything else turns off to give the starter all the power. It's just a a matter of getting the wiring right so your coil always has power when the key is in the on position. I had some similar issues with mine after a rebuild so I know the frustration. Like awhtx said, you can jump things and at least get it running.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don’t have that wire that the resistor wire connects to, so I just connected the resistor wire, right to the switch

·
Premium Member
13,170 Posts
Exactly, but I tried running a single wire from the battery positive, to the coil positive and nothing happened
If the engine won't run with the coil "hot wired" then there's no way it's running when you turn the key to Start. Turning the key to Start does exactly the same thing that "hot wiring" the coil does.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Starter solenoid wiring is fine, but I was having a problem when I first tried starting it, the red and brown wire on the inside terminals were apparently “switched” cause I would turn the key to on and it would just turn over, the red was on the left, and the brown on the right, which is correct according to the diagram. But I switched those wires and it turned over on start instead of on.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You should be able to hotwire the car with a jumper from the + side of the battery to the + side of the solenoid with the key on. before you do-you should check to see if you have voltage at the coil.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts