Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about taking out the 302 and putting in a more modern engine. That being said what is the most modern engine I can install without removing the shock towers? thanks a million.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
How about a 2JZ?

Reactions: blueovalfan68

·
Registered
35,887 Posts
Well, the 5.0/302 was still used in production vehicles through 2001. Is that "modern" enough? If not for government pollution standards it'd probably STILL be made. LOL. From what I understand, the new 7.3 litre "Godzilla" pushrod engine will fit between the towers with a bit of "notching".

·
Registered
998 Posts
Are you running a 3G alternator, electric fan, EFI, and electric water pump? Does your current 302 have a roller cam? There are plenty of ways to modernize a windsor block. Obviously the modular 4.6 and 5.0 Coyote require removing or notching towers. I have seen cars with the 4 and 6 cylinder ecoboost engines into these cars, but that probably wouldn't fit your description. The 7.3 Godzilla is completely new territory.

·
Registered
35,842 Posts
Thinking about taking out the 302 and putting in a more modern engine. That being said what is the most modern engine I can install without removing the shock towers? thanks a million.
Yeah, those 289/302 engines really suck.

Of course, as stated, you could install fuel injection and electronic ignition pretty easily.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
instead of looking for a "more modern" engine to install, how about updating what you have? installing aluminum heads for instance would make a big difference in power out put and efficiency. changing the old outdated cam design to a more modern one with better ramp rates, roller lifters, etc. also helps. add to that a modern intake and EFI system along with electronic ignition controls built in will also do wonders with driveability.

·
Premium Member
7,053 Posts
If you are talking about putting a Chevy engine in a Mustang, why not. Maybe replace the aprons with Camaro aprons, the fenders with Impala fenders, the roof with a Chevette roof, etc.

Better yet, I think a Studebaker engine would be the best.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you running a 3G alternator, electric fan, EFI, and electric water pump? Does your current 302 have a roller cam? There are plenty of ways to modernize a windsor block. Obviously the modular 4.6 and 5.0 Coyote require removing or notching towers. I have seen cars with the 4 and 6 cylinder ecoboost engines into these cars, but that probably wouldn't fit your description. The 7.3 Godzilla is completely new territory.
I'm running a single wire alternator with electric fan and fitech EFI and a manual water pump. No roller cam just a stock 87' F150 block. I need to research more about the Godzilla. Thank you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
instead of looking for a "more modern" engine to install, how about updating what you have? installing aluminum heads for instance would make a big difference in power out put and efficiency. changing the old outdated cam design to a more modern one with better ramp rates, roller lifters, etc. also helps. add to that a modern intake and EFI system along with electronic ignition controls built in will also do wonders with driveability.
That crossed my mind many times and it is still on the drawing board. I am running an electronic ignition, fitech EFI, long tube headers. Thank you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you are talking about putting a Chevy engine in a Mustang, why not. Maybe replace the aprons with Camaro aprons, the fenders with Impala fenders, the roof with a Chevette roof, etc.

Actually I have looked at some LS1 swaps and I am open to anything.

·
Registered
35,842 Posts

Oddly enough, Studebaker sold a 289 engine for years.

·
Premium Member
10,944 Posts
Get a new toy yoda or nissan or honda engine.

He's going to 4th ! Gear that is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts