Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Please give me your sincewre opinion about this Mustang, Ehay item number :4604872497.
What do you think? My brother saved the money from lots summer jobs. I know that its better to know the reality of the car than to be dissapointed when you want to start and all the dreams go to the trash.
Please let me know your opinion
Thanks
Fer ::
P.S I want to know if isn't a scam too.

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Link for the lazy.

I assume your brother is a teen and this is a first car project?

If so.....
Walk away, nay run away.
That car is not for a rookie auto restorer.

Red Flag #1
the car has a lot of rust so this car is good for somebody that knows a lot about Mustangs or have work on them before this is not for an average joe like me
Red Flag #2
I do not have the paperwork for it
http://i10.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/f9/1b/fc_1.JPG

http://i13.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/f3/80/cd_1.JPG

http://i24.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/fa/03/1b_1.JPG

http://i16.ebayimg.com/03/i/05/f3/27/a3_1.JPG

http://i4.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/f3/6a/26_1.JPG

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeap, he's a teen.
He's gonna have all the help that we can provide.
What do you think?
Thanks
Fer

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Although no expert, I know I wouldn't buy that car as a project. Looks like lots of labor and money. You live in Texas, surely there are some less rust buckety (is that a word?) cars somewhere in Texas. I say keep looking and make sure you actually go and see the car and not rely on pictures. Pictures lie or at least do not tell the whole truth in many cases.

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
If you've done extensive metal replacement on a car like this in the past and it doesn't scare you...great.
However, once you get the thing shipped to Texas...and for the amount of work ($$$) it will take to put it on the road, doesn't seem like a great deal to me.

Also, teenagers are impatient by nature. This car won't go together overnight. Is he prepared for a 2 year resto? More? If he "says" he can wait, can he really? ::

I just hate to see kids get over their heads, then disappointed, then soured on the hobby. Find him a solid coupe that he can enjoy right away. Just my $.02

·
Registered
838 Posts
I hope he has a lot more summer jobs lined up for the cost of the repairs and parts needed. It's good that he wants to rebuild one but to start off with a car in that condition Ouch!! Well you will know what he is doing with the money he makes and where he is. Look around honestly, put a post up for info on cars. Just my .02 worth

·
Registered
232 Posts
That car is not for a rookie auto restorer.
I am not sure it is for the professional either. Lots of work for a 6 cyl. car. Nothing wrong with 6 cyl. cars, IMO they can be dependable as hell and last a long time if built right. It is just much less return on investment on a proposition already guaranteed to lose money!

........my $.02 as well.

And there are still good cars left in Texas, you just have to look everywhere, under everything, and ask everyone you know. It is sometimes surprising to find out what is lurking in your neighbor's garage.

·
Registered
21,079 Posts
Now I get it. I agree, RUN! Nothing will turn him off once he see how much money and time will be needed and not be able to drive. IMO, find a nice, clean coupe that runs and has current inspection. This way he can drive it and make modifactions as time and money allows. Coupes should be an easy and cheap score and won't bankrupt him. Good luck in your search ::

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
let us know if he gets it.. i have some land in south florida for sale :)

i would pass for half the money of the BIN price

·
Premium Member
7,082 Posts
RUN AWAY!

Obviously, this car is "Not from around here" San Jose, unless it was found one the beach. Guessing it came in from the rust belt, whoever brought it in sobered up, and is now trying to dump it. Shipping will be $1000 + on this gem. With the obvious rust (check out how rusted even the incomplete shifter is) wreck and rust damage to the quarter and the shock tower, it is in sad shape.

A coupe would probably be scrapped. I am in Texas also, and for more $$ you could find a car that was far ahead of this one for the same $$. RUST = $$$$$$ and +++++ Time. I have bought too many cars in Texas too cheaply with a bit of looking around that put this one to shame.

RUN AWAY RUN AWAY

If you do buy it, call me in six months, and I will give you $500 for it, just to bail you out, before the car is towed away for junk.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If you took that car to a professional shop to restore the cost would be multiple tens of thousands of dollars and the time frame would be measured in years. Keep looking!!!!
Look at the cars for sale on this site. Several cars in good shape where the owners are only trying to get their "investment" back. I bought my car from a fellow VMFer who had the car in great mechanical shape. I paid less than the parts in the car cost, but the owner was happy to get out of the project. Keep looking.

·
Registered
933 Posts
My vote is to also stay away from this car. I believe that the owner stated that the car was from Michigan and it shows. It will need a great deal of structural, rust and mechanical repair. As the others have already stated, look for a solid coupe as a starting point.

Scott

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
I agree, if that car was FREE and shipping was FREE, you would still need to invest close to $20K if you did ALL the welding and repairs yourself...more like $30+K if you farm it out. For that investment over a couple of years you would have a beautiful car that, in today's market, would be worth half that amount.

Hell that thing doens't look like it could even roll in its present condition!!

Suggestion: Contact the local Mustang club(s) and put the word out that you are looking for a solid project car that runs and is safe to drive now. It will still take time and money to "fix it up" but at least he can drive it today.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Do *not* buy that car for anything over $50 - and that is only if it is next door to you. You could ebay the headlight buckets and a few other parts (not many) and make a bit more than $50 back (net).

That car would take between $20,000 and $40,0000 of shop work and parts and you would end up with a 6 cylinder car worth about $13,500. :no: (That would be pretty boring to drive.)

Alternatively you could spend about $25,000 to $45,000 and make a very nice restomod that would be worth only about $3,000 less than you had into it. :wall:

Run, don't walk, don't mosey, don't jog, but RUN away as fast as you can.

John Harvey

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Check out my cardomain page (at bottom of post is my link) . My 64.5 coupe has less rust than that vert and no frame damage . Ive got alot of sheetmetal in mine and as I said it's not as bad as this convert is .
If he thinks he can fix a vert that's worse than my coupe , go for it .

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Someone actually bought it. Amazing! Poor sap.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
that car has been on ebay for several months, each time it either sold or reserve not met. it needs major work. just to get it shipped will be big bucks because it looks like the DS frame rail has collapsed, look at the wheel. this car is not for the inexperienced, for that matter, it is int for the veterin restorer.
you live in texas, that is the place to find a car, be patient & when you stop lookig, that is when you wil find one, in the meanwhile, save more money.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts