Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed all 4 new door hinges and the doors are sagging. I can lift up on the door before I shut it. The door seems to move about a half inch if I pull up on it. I looked at the pins in the door hinges and they have a little bit of play in them. remember these are new hinges. Is this normal? Any ideas on how to fix this?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The new hinges shouldn't have any play in them. Typical repo I guess. I rebuilt mind they are tight no play.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have used repos from CJ and they were fine, original cast style. Another thing to check is if the nut plates were really rusty perhaps they tightened up before the head of the bolts were actually holding the hinges on? Then the weight of the door causes them to move. Just one more thought to double check.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Hopefully they are better today than a few years back(65-6). The pin that held the arm down kept coming up causing the arm to malfuntion. Luckily doors had yet to get windows, etc. so it was easier to deal with. Getting the hinges off, was able to measure the edge of hinge body to the center of arm's pin. Drilled a hole in the body to intersect with the hole
for the arm pin.
Put loctite on the arm pin and tappd it back in. Took a size smaller drill bit and drilled a niche in the arm pin that was now all the way back down. Took a longer pin from hdwe store, beveled the arm pin end, put on a thin coat of JB Weld tapped it in to meet up with the arm pin and let the hinges(did both lowers)sit for a couple days. Problem was solved. Might seem like a lot of work for such a small deal and decided the next time would rebuild the originals!!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
the same thing just happened to me on my '66. i bought new hinges from NPD. they fit alright but i had the SAME problem as you. i wound up buying a set of original hinges and installing them instead, problem solved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts