Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've owned a '92 LX limited Edition convertible since new, and have done a lot of work on it over the years (heads,intake, exhaust etc..) I am however a total newbie when it comes to the four speed A code GT Fastback that I just bought, and I need help.
I'm getting this kind of knocking sound front the front of the engine, and it seems to get louder as the motor gets hotter.
I changed the water pump (original aluminium) because there was a slight wobble, but the noise is still there. I've also run it without the belt and noise persists. The engine was rebuilt 4000 miles ago and the timing gears and chain were changed. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Paul

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Does it change when you put the engine under load? Have someone put it in gear and then listen. Run a compression check and see if any pistons are different.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Possible lifter niose? If you could get a stethascope to determine location it would help.
Welcome to the forum!
A lot of people here are more than qualified to help but will need a little more info to track down the niose.

G

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum, this site is probably the best on the web for stangs. Its a great source for information and just about everyone here is always willing to help with a problem. So now to your problem, if the noise your hearing is more of the ticking nature, it may just be a valve lash adjustment. If the noise is more of a knocking sound then you may have a bigger issue like a connecting rod bearing, hopefully not. If its a ticking check all clearances, if its a knocking start checking the bottom end. If you dont already have a ford shop manual for your car (not chiltons), I would suggest getting one as there a great source of info. There are also other books, I have how to rebuid your ford small block by Tom Monroe, it has lots of info on what and how to check things. Well good luck and welcome again.

SCOTT
65CONV, C-CODE, T10, 4BBL
ITS ALMOST DRIVABLE, WOOOOHOOOO.....

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Assumptions:
Knock is extant regardless of vehicle motion and load or lack threrof.

Knock exists with all accessory drives disconnected.

Questions:

How is oil pressure? Difference between cold and hot idle and at 2K rpm? PSI is preferred...

How does engine perform?

Experiment:

Get engine hot so knock is loudest. Make sure carb fuel bowl is full. Remove fuel pump, tape hole with duct tape and run engine noting existance (or lack thereof) of knock...

Post what you find...

·
Registered
680 Posts
Had this to happen to me years ago with a small block. Make sure the bolt for the crankshaft dampner is tight. Then make sure you can't wiggle it with your hands. Had a 289 that the P.O. had put dampner on without the key. Took me forever to find it. It would turn a little with the motor running. Knocked REAL loud...

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow!
Thanks for all the great input guys, but the prize goes to Camachinist!
I called the guy who rebuilt the car seven years ago and sold it to the guy I bought it from last week. The car shows 57000 miles and he thinks that it's the cars true millage and that the pump may never have been changed. New pump, no knocking thanks again.
Paul.
PS. Anyone who knows about electrical, please check out my new post.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts