Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FOR A 65, ARE THE ORIGINAL TYPE PINS AVAILABLE FROM ANYONE THAT HOLD THE FIREWALL INSULATION TO THE FIREWALL? IF NOT WHAT CAN BE USED. I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND ANY.
THANKS,

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,681 Posts
I've seen the metal pins for a '67 in one of the catalogs (NPD, I think). If you prefer, you can find plastic ones at most automotive paint supply stores that carry specialty automotive fasteners.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have the same question. I bought the correct appearing metal ones from Autokrafters (I think) and actually tried to install them today. They are just a little too large for the hole, so I am still looking.

G

·
There are 2 types used on 65 (and maybe 66). Ones with the serrated teeth down one side and the other with 2 expansion clips at the head base. I usually just re-use originals or get them off parts cars.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I bought some at carlisle at the ford show , a guy that sold 55/57 t/bird parts had them , they are pale green in color but have the 2 metal tangs hope this helps Otto

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll start looking up the 55-57 T-Bird parts suppliers and start looking for junk cars.

Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jim,

How much to big were the pins. Were they to big that you couldn't open up the holes?

·
Registered
665 Posts
They would fit if you opened up the holes a little. They are the "barbed" style (what Charles described as serrated teeth) and for some reason the nose of the pin is actually a little bulbous - like it is larger OD than the shank. For this reason, the pin won't start in the hole, but if the hole were just a bit larger, it would go right in I am sure. The barbs should hold it OK.

I got two pretty good ones at the junkyard, and they are the other style with the tangs up near the head (like my originals) so I will use them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts