Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post to a great website!

I'm changing my rear leaf springs, and noticed the rear spring shock mounting plate seems curved, or cupped such that the new leaf spring doesn't sit flat in the plate. There is probably 1/8" gap where the spring bottoms out against the plate. The plate is very thick, maybe original, so I find it hard to believe it was warped by tightening the u-bolts, but I don't know.............I'm a rookie!

So does this plate seem ok to use with new springs, or do I need new plates? Thanks! Mike.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The restro shop that is doing my rust removal showed me mine when they came off the car and they were the same way that you are describing and they told me that they needed replacing. I am new to this also so I took there word for it!

Darrel

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. The photo looks just like mine! So Hurtle, was your plate replaced? Mike.

G

·
That photo was taken after the new springs were installed so no they weren't.

To be honest I really don't know if the mounts should be curved or not. My car is a daily driver so I'm not very concerned about replacing things just because they don't look the way they did when the car rolled off the line in 65. The curve didn't affect the installation or the operation of the springs so it's OK for me.

The car sits just about level with the new springs. They were the stock height type. From what I understand this is correct. The cars don't get that raised rear end look unless you go with different springs. My point is I don't believe the curve affects the ride height.

Even if it does (assuming someone steps up and says there should be no curve) I won't change the mounting plates until the time comes when the car gets a full blown restoration. I guess how you're going to use the car will come into play with making the decision.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts