Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Mustang Coupe 302/C4 VIN 5R07C
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I got my shipment of parts from CJs yesterday and was trying to mount my new rear valence last night. Almost all of the screw holes were too big and the screws wont stay in place. Has anyone else experience this issue, if so how did you fix it? I am thinking getting slightly bigger bolts with nuts for the inside.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Honestly every one I got from NPD fit fine. That said, you could step up the the next size screw, or do like you said and use bolts and nuts. Did you paint it already?

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
851 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I went to the hardware store and got the next size up of zinc plated sheet metal screws.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Howdy,

I got my shipment of parts from CJs yesterday and was trying to mount my new rear valence last night. Almost all of the screw holes were too big and the screws wont stay in place. Has anyone else experience this issue, if so how did you fix it? I am thinking getting slightly bigger bolts with nuts for the inside.
I cannot remember if there is a way to get behind the holes or not, if you can, put a flat piece of metal against the hole and tap it from the outside with a body hammer. As you install the screws, metal forms around the screw and protrudes out. Flatten the metal and it fills the hole back in so you can start the process all over again...

·
Registered
38,215 Posts
Don't the screws (self tapping) go THROUGH the valance and into the rear crossmember/taillight panel?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts